chapter 8

I fiddled with my necklace as I waited for Thomas to stop by and pick me up. The day in the studio went pretty well, other than the fact that Jordan was acting strange around me the whole time. The more he was around me, the more I thought about the other Jordan. I took a deep breath. If Jordan was going to talk to me again, I needed to ask him if he was the Jordan I was friends with, the one I liked.

"Waiting for someone?" a voice from behind me asked.

I turned around and saw Jordan smiling at me. When he looked down at the necklace I was holding, his face changed. His eyes were in shock as he saw the guitar pick hanging from its thread.

Jordan glanced up at me with his jaw dropped. I needed to ask him now.

"Okay, I need to ask you something," I confronted him. I walked closer to him, making sure he heard what I said. "Do you…are you…I don't know how to ask you this without sounding like a fool," I shook my head. "Are you…the Jordan who I met in the grade school who used to put boogers on my desk everyday and make fart noises when I came near and always sings to 'Jumper' to me and gave me a guitar on my tenth birthday and…"

Jordan placed a finger on my lips. I sighed heavily. "I guess not. Sorry about…" he cut me off by kissing me on the lips. I pushed him away, shocked at his actions. "What was that for?"

He raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms. "I thought we were still dating after I left. I mean, my name is on that guitar pick I gave you."

"Wait," I choked out. "You are…what? I…what?" I couldn't say anything straight forward. My words were jumbled up. Was this really happening? Jordan cracked a grin on his lips, that goofy grin I remembered long ago. "You…," I exhaled, not able to finish what I was saying. Instead, my jaws dropped and I stared at him.

Jordan laughed at my reaction. "I knew you were Tiffany, the shy and cute girl I admire back at Portland, when I first saw you," he moved some of my hair out of my face. "I can never forget those eyes, that smile, and the way you always hide behind your hair. You know, I can't believe you still remember me and you still wear the necklace that I gave you."

"Do you still remember what I gave you?" I asked with curiosity.

"Is it the mixed CD that had all of our favorite songs, including 'Jumper'? Yeah, I still have that," Jordan smiled as he held my hand. "I can't believe you're right in front of me," he confessed. "I can't believe we're on the same state, signed with the same record label, and pursuing the same dream."

"It's a small world, I guess," I replied quietly. "I'm just happy to see you again."

Jordan let go of my hand and cupped my face. "Me too," he leaned in. I quickly turned away, having him kiss me on my cheek instead of my lips. Jordan looked at me with confused eyes. "Why don't you want me to kiss you? You know I don't believe in cooties anymore, right?"

I chuckled. "I know that, okay? We're not kids anymore, but maybe we should take this slow. I mean, like I said before, we were kids when we 'dated,'" I paused. "We should take this one step at a time."

Jordan's shoulders dropped at my comment. "Why?" he asked childishly.

"Come on, Jordan, we just found out that we were long lost best friends a couple of minutes ago. We can't just go the fast lane immediately. We just have to take it slow. Feelings can change, you know?"

"Do you like someone else?" I shook my head. "Then why are you saying that…"

"Can you do this please?" I pouted. "For me?"

Jordan gazed at me and sighed in defeat. "Ugh, fine. I can't say no to you," he answered. "Does that mean you're allowed to date anyone while we 'take it slow'?"

I shrugged. "You can date someone also."

"I just want to date you," he blurted out. "I hope you're not going to fall for anyone while we're here."

I shook my head and smiled. "I'm here to focus on my dream. You should focus on your dream as well instead of girls."

"It's sort of hard to focus when the girl I like works with me," I playfully hit him in the arm. He laughed. "I'll try my best," he assured.

I embraced him in my arms. "Thank you."

"It's great to be back in your arms again," Jordan said in my ear. "I never want to let you go."