chapter 5

It has been weeks…35 days, 12 hours, and 33 minutes and five seconds (and counting) to be exact that I haven't been on the internet. Why? Thomas, who decided to download some illegal crap on the internet, made the server crash and now we had our computer be infected by a virus. Our computer sat cold on the bedroom desk in my room. Because of that whole fiasco with the internet thing, Thomas and I didn't talk to each other, unless if our parents forced us. Downside of living with our parents: they actually make us get along.

So for those couple of weeks, I have been doing a lot of open mic nights, be an opening act for local bands in the area and discovering life outside of the internet. Alyssa, my partner in crime, took me out almost every single day of the week. She was the reason why I got to be an opening act for the bands. She worked at one of the local venues here in Portland. The funny thing was that every band that met me heard of my cover of "Tiffany Blews" and told me they liked it. One of the bands even said that it was an internet sensation. I smiled and told them thanks, but couldn't believe the fact that the video was going to be that popular. At least they liked it.

By my curiosity, I decided to go to the library. They had computers so there was a very high chance that they had internet there as well. I drove down to the library; crossing my fingers that internet existed there. Since I was a slacker at school, I never exactly walked in a library before that was outside of school. I only went to the library once in the fourth grade because that was our field trip. That day seemed fuzzy to me and the only thing I could remember from that day was my best friend/boyfriend at the time, Jordan or Dan-Dan. I smiled at that thought. Dan-Dan was like my somewhat first boyfriend. It was weird that I still wore the necklace he gave me. I kept it under my shirt since Thomas always made fun of me for wearing it. I always wondered where he was now. I wondered if he ever thought about me. It has been what? Eight or nine years since I've seen him? After that long period of time, I highly doubted he remembered me so I needed to forget this whole thing.

I parked my car in front of the library. I probably needed to apply for a library card since I never set foot on this place. I walked in and the first thing I saw was the computers and yes, they did have internet. The help counter was right by it. By my joy, I ran over to the counter. The old lady behind the counter stared at me. I smiled, hoping she didn't think I was a weirdo, although I was.

"May I help you young lady?"

"May I get a library card please?" I asked enthusiastically.

The old lady raised an eyebrow, but began asking me for my information. I zoomed though all of the answers. After the questioning, she asked me what design I wanted on my card. I didn't give a crap what was on my card. I just wanted the card. I chose the dude who was standing in a middle of a desert. Random, but whatever. A library card was a library card.

After I received the delicate rectangle in my hand, I walked over to the computers. There were many teenagers who were on their MySpace, Facebook, Twitter and every single social networking site. I sat next to a girl, who looked like a Justin Bieber fan (her wristband gave me a hint), watching random videos on YouTube. I logged in on my computer and went straight to the internet.

The girl turned and looked at me. "Hey! Aren't you Tiffany Massena?"

My eyes widened. "How do you know me?" I was getting a little creep out by this. Maybe going to the library was a bad idea.

She grinned. "You're like all over the internet," she opened a page on her computer. It was Buzznet, one of the top social networking sites. On the homepage, the first headline was "Daily Music Dose: Tiffany 'Blews' Massena" and right by it was my picture. "You're also on here, too," she changed the page to Alternative Press and there I was in their front page. I was an "Artist to Watch." This was all so surreal to me. The girl looked up at me. "Maybe you should check your twitter account."

I obeyed her order and went to my Twitter account. This girl was up-to-date on the internet scene so I had to follow her. When I got in, I had 12,056 followers, 40 direct messages and countless numbers of mentions. I read my direct messages. I couldn't believe my eyes. They were all from Pete Wentz, Decaydance Records, members of All Time Low, Hey Monday and a random dude named Chad. The first recent message was from Pete Wentz. I read the message. My jaws dropped and my heart stopped. The girl stared at me in confusion. "What's wrong?"

I glanced at her. "Pete Wentz wants me to be in his record label."