Prologue

"You're afraid of me" his low raspy voice bit through the darkness of my dorm. His words rung through me, leaving my entire being cold.

I took a step backwards hoping to escape him, only to be pushed up against the door of my closet, trapped by his large frame, "I'm not afraid of you" my voice came out shakey and not convincing what so ever. Even in the darkness of the room, I could still see the sly smirk playing across his pink lips. "That's where you're wrong. You're terrified of me."

I shook my head in protest, unable to form any proper sentence at the moment. He was right though, this man I've met only months earlier terrified me. Evaded every part of my life, came in from nowhere and turned everything in my life upside down. Creating caos and havic you only read about in those sappy romance novels. He had me feeling things I couldn't explain myself. And now here he was, inches from my touch, calling me out on my bluff.

Before he walked into my life creating hell I had everything perfectly planned out, I had control of everything. I knew exactly where I wanted to go, which steps to take to get there and which paths to avoid. Now though, with him this close to me, I felt all control slipping through my fingers and I was terrified of the end results.

He rested his forearm against the wall above my head leaning in towards me, his scent clean and subtle, filled me as I took in a deep breath. "You have a strange need to control every bit of your life, down to the way your shirts are folded." he chuckled lightly, "But you can't control me..."

His words rung truth and I found myself wanting to disappear underneath his strong gaze, those piercing green eyes seeing right through me. Past my walls I've worked so hard to build, past the fake front I wore daily. Under his gaze I felt so open and exposed, so vulnerable and I hated it.

"You've tried though, you've pushed me away. You've hurt me, you've lied and screamed at me. You've built up wall after wall to keep me away. But you can't. You can't control the feelings you have for me." his voice was so quiet, softly ripping me apart with the truth.

I shook my head again in disagreement, "But I can..." I was shaking now, his free hand gently taking mine, tangling our fingers together, sending a serge through my arm.

His fingers danced with mine, "No you can't. You can try, you can try till it kills you. Fight against them as hard as you can, because I know you will. You'll fight tooth and nail till you have no fight left in you. Then you'll fight harder. But it will be no use, I'll keep coming back, no matter what you say to me, no matter how hard you push me away. I'll be right here, fighting for you." His gaze held mine still, never faultering a moment as the words fell from his lips.

He raised his hand cupping my cheek against his warm callaused palm, no doubt from the hard laborus work he did. "We'll always fight, I know that for a fact. I'll scream at you and you'll scream back louder. You'll push me and I'll push back harder. It's who we are Rae, that will never change." his thumb ran over my quivering lip softly, I couldn't tear my eyes from his, they held me frozen in place.

I felt myself crumbling, all the walls and barriers were falling and I tried, fighting to keep them from callasping all around me. The last shred of control I had, I held on with a death grip. "You're not good for me" I heard myself telling him. "And you're not good for me..." he responded rubbing his thumb continuously over my cheek.

Why couldn't he just let me have this? This small shred of my sanity, he was taking it away from me. He was destroying everything I've worked for, years of building my perfect safe life, gone in months.

He leaned in closer his lips brushing my ear as he whispered, "Don't fight me... not tonight" .....