Chapter Twenty-two: Draven's House

Draven was driving into a forest, and Apryl was pleased to discover that it wasn't anything like the Dark Forest she remembered. This one was colorful and full of life compared to the rest of the scenery in the Inbetween. The trees were tall and appeared healthy with foliage of many different shades that created the effect that they were entering an autumnal kaleidoscope.

There were birds, insects, and rabbits as well—the first of any wildlife she had seen in this dimension—and although they had little genetic diversity, it was better than there being no animals at all. A squirrel scampered up the rough bark of a tree, a butterfly landed on a fallen log and flaunted its bright yellow wings, and an animal that appeared to be a tamer relative of a wild grey wolf was snuffling around in a pile of leaves.

The things she was seeing made no sense to Apryl, but then again, nothing about the Inbetween did. There was no sun in the sky, so a forest filled with animals couldn't exist according to everything she knew from basic biology. Trees needed to photosynthesize to live, and animals— including people—needed the sun for vitamin D (or something like that—Apryl was terrible at biology).

Eventually, she had come to the conclusion that some form of magic must exist. How else was there a floating mass in the middle of nothing that was sustaining people, animals, and plants without satisfying what scientists on Earth would describe as the basic needs for survival? That didn't even begin to cover the inter-dimensional traveling or the fact that time itself somehow continued normally when you crossed through a portal just as it did when you used a regular door. She was far past being bewildered and had decided to simply ignore science altogether.

Apryl leaned against Mel who was looking a little grey from having a metal chip inserted half-way into her head. She seemed grateful for the support and Apryl was glad for the contact because she wanted to feel comforted. It was unsettling to think that the Warriors had tried to kill her again and may have succeeded in taking away one of her friends in her place.

Apryl prayed that Soren would be alright. He seemed like a genuinely nice guy, and it was her fault that he was hurt. Bri at least could blend in, but she couldn't. Apryl hoped that the next place they went to would be comfortable enough for her to hole herself up in and stay out of sight for the a couple of days until the twins turned eighteen and were allowed into the Dimension Hall.

Thinking about the plan made her feel very hollow, because Apryl had finally admitted to herself that she didn't want to go home. She would miss Earth and the few girls back home who she had gotten along with at school, but there was nothing tying her to that world anymore. Her family was all gone except for Bri, so as long as her sister stayed than Apryl wouldn't have a reason to leave.

Earth's technology would also be missed, but the sisters hadn't been able to afford those kinds of things anyway and Apryl figured that she could live without them. She knew that she would miss trivial things like the sight of the moon and the sun, but what were those things besides something pretty to look at? Apryl glanced automatically at Draven and thought of how he and Kieran were as different from each other as the moon was from the sun. They were certainly beautiful enough to look at.

Are you thinking about me? Draven teased. Apryl realized that either he was eavesdropping on her thoughts again, or she was unconsciously projecting them. However, Mel didn't seem to have noticed anything unusual which supported her eavesdropping theory.

I was wondering where you're taking me, she lied in the hopes that he hadn't pried far enough to pick up on anything more.

See for yourself, he answered, saying aloud, "We're here."