Chapter Three: Relationships

It wasn't hard for Kieran and his friends to find Draven, because he'd left footprints in the mucky undergrowth that swerved off in seemingly random directions every once in a while. By the time they caught up to him, he'd made his way to the very end of the forest where it suddenly dropped off into nothingness.

The entire Inbetween was flat. If you kept walking in any direction you would eventually reach the unending Abyss, but most people never went that far because it had been proven that if you fell off you would keep on falling. Sometimes the king had his army drop their most useless or dangerous criminals off the edge. Kieran had been outraged when he'd learned of such a terrible practice—he couldn't imagine the horror of slowly dying as you fell through that endless void for however long it would take to kill a person.

Draven was leaning against a tree nearest the Abyss and holding the rifle which he automatically aimed at Kieran's group when they made noise alerting him of their approach. He appeared dirty and rumpled as if he'd been staggering around lost in the woods and had fallen down a few times. Even so, he looked as if he could have been modeling hunting gear. Draven was the most comfortable person Kieran had ever seen when it came to being in forests. He had an amazing sense of direction...but that depended on his eyesight.

"It was that damn portal," he explained angrily while Kieran helped him back into the cover of the trees. He had run over and practically dragged his friend away from the edge, fearing at first that Draven had gone there to purposely jump off. Kieran had simply never imagined that he could actually be lost. Draven had grown up in forests and knew better than anyone how to figure out if you were heading towards or away from the Abyss.

"It did something to my eyes! When I started walking away from the clearing I realized that I couldn't see. Everything is dark," Draven said bitterly, shooting a furious glance at Soren who looked affronted. Kieran suspected that the look was actually meant for Mel, but Draven hadn't been able to tell the three of them apart.

Mel seemed to be aware of this, because she was shifting uncomfortably on the spot, betraying her sense of guilt. Kieran believed that regardless of her negative feelings towards him, she would have brought an extra pair of sunglasses if she had known what the light would do to his eyes and simply complained about him being there instead. Mel wasn't heartless even when it came to Draven.

"How do they feel? Are they getting better?" Kieran asked, concerned when Draven stumbled on a tree root. He automatically grabbed his arm to steady him, but Draven jerked away. He hated being touched in public worse than anything, but since it was Kieran, he didn't comment.

"I'm fine," he promised, this time managing to glare at Mel.

"Look," she said calmly, pausing to switch to her mental voice, I...I think my little brother might have an extra pair of glasses you can borrow tomorrow, she told him softly. Although this certainly wasn't an apology, it was the best Draven was going to get, and he knew it. Mel had even said it mentally so everyone would feel that she was sorry without her needing to compromise her dignity by saying the words.

"No thanks, I won't be coming with you tomorrow. Forget it," Draven answered indignantly.

Mel didn't offer any reply. Kieran watched her lower her head as if she were ashamed, but he clearly saw the smile on her face. No doubt she was planning to forget about Draven's cut of any treasure Kieran might find—as if he would actually steal anything even if he did happen to find some. Kieran didn't think this was likely, but he refrained from admitting it.

The place he'd seen through the portal had looked clean, and bright, and peaceful. He wanted to explore—not become a thief—to find the water creature he'd seen and to learn how those floating houses could fly across the water so quickly. It had looked like a wonderful world to discover and maybe even raise a family in, but none of his friends needed to know how he felt about that yet.