Chapter 13: Defeat

__________________________
So I decided to leave my end of chapter comment at the beginning of this chapter. Reason why? Can't tell! Ha...ha.. Enjoy! ;) -RandomPanda
__________________________

"Stay back. I think it's best I meet him on my own. If he knows you're here, things may go south pretty fast." I looked at her as she took her sword off her back. We had made it to the abandoned building of S.H.I.E.L.D.

"Griffin, wait." I took a few steps forward. "Take this." I stretched out my arm. "It's a communication device."

I watched her grab it from my hand. She had a cold expression on her face. I couldn't read what she was thinking. She didn't make it easy to understand her.

"Whatever you do, don't let yourself be seen." She said.

I didn't reply. I watched as she turned around and headed inside the crumbled building.

I looked over my shoulder. I had to get a better view. Part of the building still had windows. I felt that was the best place to keep an eye on her. I could hear from the communication device that she was walking fairly fast.

I looked down at my shield. I had to be prepared. Although we knew some things about this enemy. It was a unpredictable situation.

"You said to come. So where are you!" She called out.

With my back against the wall I looked slightly over into the window. She was considerably further down inside. She had to be on a lower level of what was left of the building.

I heard a little static before I heard a male voice reply.

"I see you made it just in time." It's voice low and grizzled.

"You said you would tell me what happened to my father." I heard Griffin reply in a hostile voice.

"No need for that tone." It almost sounded hurt. "I don't think I introduced myself."

There was a moment of silence. My eyes looked down. I could see the shadow now in front of her.

"I'm Zero. Or at least that's the number they gave me."

"There must be a reason you're telling me all of this." Griffin retorted back.

"Well I figure you at least need to know the name of your fathers killer." It spit back.

I watched Griffin take a few steps back. "You drove him crazy, leading him to shoot his partners brains out and do the same to himself." I could tell her voice was becoming hostile.

"Is that what they told you." He started to laugh uncontrollably. "Your father didn't go crazy! He joined Hydra. He knew where his loyalties lied even to the end. Unfortunately for him, he wasn't loyal enough, so they sent me to kill him." He let out another laugh. "His face when I pulled the trigger was priceless!"

"Shut your filthy mouth!" Griffin pointed her sword toward him.

"Now they've sent me to kill you!" He laughed again. "After all no one will know. I'll blend in. I can mask myself as anyone I want! Even now you don't know what I really look like." He paused. "They'll never find me."

I looked at him. At the position I was in I could only see the tops of their heads. Griffin still had her sword pointing for him.

"You'll never get away with it!" Griffin yelled at him.

"Humm... What's that?" His face stretch around toward the window. "To bad you brought Steve along with you. I sensed his presence once you stepped foot in here." Zero informed us.

I gulped down my last breath. He knew I was here.

"Leave Rogers out of this. This is between you and me!" Griffin drew his attention back to her.

"You're right. Once I'm done with you I'll finish him off as well."

"Griffin!" I called over the communication device. "You have to get out of there!"

She didn't move. What was she thinking? I watched as the dark figure of Zero took a few steps toward her.

She finally knew the name of the Hydra culprit. Even more she knew he had killed her father. She wasn't going to back down easily.

"What are you waiting for? If you're going to kill me, do it!" Griffin spit out.

This wasn't going well. I had a feeling it wouldn't. It wasn't easy to convince her to let me be her back up. I had to get her out somehow.

I heard her sword scrape against something as I looked down at the window. "That's enough" I said to myself. I took my shield and broke out the window. The sound of glass falling toward the floor added to the chaos. I watched as the shards of glass missed them below.

"You'll die quickly!" I heard Zero call as he punched her in the jaw. I watched as she fell backwards from the impact. Her sword grazing the side of his face as she fell.

I had to stop this. I jumped through the broken window. Landing on my feet a few floors down. My shield taking most of the impact.

"Griffin!" I called her. "Get up!" She slightly got to her knees.

I was behind them. Zero was just in between us. I could now see he was disguised as someone I didn't recognize.

"You!" Griffin called. She was propped up on he sword, still on the ground. "You robbed my fathers face from him!"

Now I realized. I had seen his picture in Griffin's file.

"Isn't that the best way to go. Seeing the face of your loved ones!" He chuckled.

I took a few steps forward. My shield staying close to my side. I had to save her.

Zero was now in front of her. His hand grabbed her chin. Tilting her head up to meet his gaze.

"Get eaway from her!" I called as the front of my shield grazed the back of Zero's head. My eyes widened in horror. It didn't even leave a mark.

With one hand he had pulled Griffin to her feet and with the other he had a hold of my shield.

A sinister smile came to his face. "We'll be leaving now." As soon as he said that he let go of my shield. Pulling his grip closer to Griffin.

I brushed my clinched fist toward him. But before it could reach him, they both disappeared before my eyes.

Like the times before. He had vanished into thin air, but this time it was with Griffin in his cold hands.

I frantically looked around. I looked over at the ground. My communication device lay just to the left of me.

I ran toward it. The sound of my shield clanged against the cold concrete floor.

"Griffin!" I yelled into it.

"Griffin!"