Chapter 2: Compatible

I waited in the simulation room for a few minutes before the door opened. In a blink of an eye she was coming in. Her black hair now braided and a sword on her back. She had a blank expression on her face and it gave no indication as to what she was thinking.

I watched her as she came closer to me. Her eyes trailed over to my shield.

"Are you ready?" I asked.

"More than ready." She replied back. Her cold gaze lingering in front of us. She didn't look my way.

I looked forward keeping myself calm. A flash of light came in front of us as the simulator came on. At least fifty pixilated figures stood before us.

I steadied my shield for impact as the figures darted our way. As one came closer to me I quickly hit it with my shield. I looked over to my right to see that agent Griffin was definitely holding her position. She cut one after the other down with her sword, barely moving from where she was.

What had been fifty holograms quickly dwindled. I took down another before I heard Griffen call out.

"Watch out!" She called.

  I turned to see one coming in from behind me. Before I could do anything it disintegrated in front of me. Agent Griffin had quickly cut it in half with her sword.

"I had it." I looked at her.

"Didn't look like it from back there." She retorted.

  She definitely had an attitude about her. Was she like this all the time? I turned around at that thought. We were now back to back. Facing the threat head on.

One after the other came down quickly. We had finished the evaluation in little over fifteen minutes.

All was silent for a few seconds before we could hear a voice come over the speaker.

"Congratulations. You both have fought well. We will get back to you with the result as soon as possible."

It was most definitely Coulson's voice that had informed us.

I turned around to face her. She hadn't even broke a sweat. Although her Raven black hair was becoming unbraided, falling into her eyes. I watched as she moved it away from her face. She had nice features. Her face was dotted with freckles and her ice cold eyes were intense.

"What?" She asked. As if she was confused as to why I was studying her so hard.

"Nothing, ma'am." I sheepishly looked away. "You fight well."

Smooth Steve... I almost thought aloud. I brushed off the feeling immediately. I couldn't allow myself to get close.

"Um.. Thanks." She replied with a dry tone. "Of course you fought well. You're Captain America after all." She said even more dryly.

I could hear the door swiftly open. It was Fury. I watched as he marched his way over to us.

"It looks like you two are a team. Both of you follow me." He commanded.

We followed him into a separate room that overlooked the simulator. A table stood in the center of the room, with monitors everywhere. There Coulson sat and Fury joined him.

"I have your first mission. You both will be looking for someone that is dangerous and a threat to our organization." Coulson looked at us both.

"We haven't decided yet on his exact location but we know he isn't too far from here." Fury added.

"You are to report all findings back to us. The mission that both of you have acquired is to find and bring back James Buchanan Barnes ." Coulson informed, putting the folder containing the information on the table.

The whole room was in a dead silence. A pen could drop and all would hear. The last time I had seen him was when we had fought almost to the brink of death. That was the day Shield was destroyed.

"Isn't he unstable?" I heard Griffin say next to me.

"No. He is just confused. He was my friend before everything happened with Hydra. I actually thought he was dead until recently." I said looking down at her.

I was almost overcome by emotion. Bucky was my best pal before he had turned on me. The individuals that infiltrated Shield were still holding on to Hydra's ways had somehow gotten to Bucky. He wasn't the same after.

"I know I can bring him back." I said firmly.

"It's best you should before someone else does." Fury replied. "You both will start the search tomorrow. As for right now, take a break."

"You are dismissed." Coulson chimed in.

With agent Griffen in the lead we both made it out the door. I could hear her take a deep breath as we departed.

"I know you will do what you can to help me find Bucky." I told her.

"I'll do what I have to." She replied sharply.

"Why don't you go change and meet me outside in fifteen." I looked to see if she would give any evidence of a expression. But my hopes were to no avail.

"Alright." She replied coldly.

I watched her as she left for her room. I didn't know what it was about her but she wasn't like anyone I had met before. My thoughts somehow lingered on Peggy for a moment as I turned toward my own quarters.

Who was agent Griffin, and what had made her so cut off from others?