Chapter 6: Turmoil

I woke up in a cold sweat. Rubbing my eyes with my hands l let out a deep yawn. I looked over at the clock next to my bed. It read 1:00 am.

"I was only asleep for thirty minutes" I said aloud.

Then the memory of what awoke me hit me like a bullet.

I saw Bucky, he was laying on the ground in a pool of blood. I shook my head. "Steve pull yourself together." I whispered.

I got up from my bed. There I looked upon the wall. My uniform was hanging up on the closet door. My shield was propped neatly against it.

Why had I become who I was? The question struck through me. If I hadn't become Captain America nothing would have been the same.

I had to get out and get fresh air. I quickly changed into civilian cloths. Once I was up and ready I reached for my door.

I walked down the hallway for a few minutes before coming to agent Griffin's door. I always passed it on the way out of the compound. But something wasn't right. Her door was slightly opened. I heard two voices talking amongst each other. I quickly got behind the wall once I realized their conversation.

The other voice I could make out to be Coulson's.

"We worry your not suited for this mission." I heard Coulson say.

"And why is that?" Griffin questioned.

There was a dead silence for a few minutes.

"We think you're getting too close to him." Coulson replied.

"What brings you to that conclusion?" I heard Griffin say coldly.

"We can see you're letting your guard down. It's not like you. You've been training against that very reason." I could hear Coulson making his way for the door; it squeaking on its hinges. "Watch yourself Griffin or will station you somewhere else. I've heard Budapest is alway good." He said with a laugh.

"You always threaten me with that." I heard Griffin say as she shut the door.

I backed away from the wall I was hiding behind. I started walking down the hallway and turned back around. Trying to act as natural as If I never heard a word. Right as I came back to agent Griffin's door I could see Coulson walking in the opposite direction.

"What are you doing here?"

I looked back around over my shoulder. I watched her as she walked out of her room a little ways. She didn't have her hair in a single braid like usual. It was light and curled at the ends. She looked like a different person.

"Rogers? What are you doing here?" She whispered.

"I couldn't sleep. I was going to get some fresh air." I gulped down my words.

"In that direction? The door that goes outside is the other way." She stated, swinging her arm to the left.

"Ah yes. That's right."

"Rogers?"

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Are you alright? You seem to be having a rough night." She asked.

I looked down at her, she was much closer now. "I'm fine." I said taking a step back; remembering what Coulson had said earlier.

"Alright. Well I'm going back in." She gestured toward her door.

I watched her walk back in. Before she shut the door I watched her turn back toward me.

"If you need anything let me know. I am your assistant after all." She even let a slight smile come to her face.

I gulped down my previous breath. The first time I had seen her show such a emotion. What was this?

I let a faint smile come to my face as well. Her cold eyes glimmered in the faint light as she shut the door.

I relaxed some when she wasn't in front of me. I wasn't thinking strait. Maybe it was just a combination of all of these things. Between my mental state of this mission and her, I questioned know how I could complete it.

There was a strange feeling creeping up into my being. I hadn't felt it since my time with agent Carter. I shook the thought away. I can't allow myself to bring trouble to agent Griffin.

I turned around back in the direction of my room. I had complete forgotten about the dream I had previously. Somehow I knew this wasn't the end of my nightmares, but something was telling me it wasn't going to be easy.

My ultimate mission was to find my friend Bucky Barnes. I was to bring him back safely and nothing could stop that.

Once I came back to my door I froze solid. There was a dark figure standing at the side of my door, leaning against the wall. The hallway had become dimly lit. I could just make out the silver arm of the culprit.

"Bucky?" I questioned out loud.

The figure that stood at my door started to walk in my direction.

"I'm not him." The figure approached me at a fast speed.

I stood my ground. Raising my arm to my face to brace for impact. Right as what seemed to be Bucky's arm brushing past the other side of my face, it was gone.

I took my arm down to see that the lights in the hallway next to my door were back on. I looked around me to see that nothing was there.

Maybe Griffin had been right. I walked slowly back to my door. Grabbing the handle I pulled it open.

Once it was closed I put my hands to my face once more. I looked at the clock. It was now 3:30 am. I was only functioning on thirty minutes of sleep for the past 38 hours.

I let out a deep sigh. Maybe it wasn't so bad this mission was on hold. I walked over to the side of my bed, collapsing upon it.

I looked up at the ceiling for what seemed a eternity, before sleep overcame me.

The last thing I saw was that of agent Griffin. Her faint smile making its way into my thoughts.

The smile that seemed to haunt me more than what had just taken place.

__________________________Hope everyone enjoys chapter 6. Seems Bucky is still haunting Steve... And agent Griffin. Haha. Thanks for reading! -RandomPanda