Chapter 6 - Kind of Like a Threat

"I've been searching for the
Right words, right words but I,
I can't even find an echo. Don't you let go.
There are only twenty six letters I can use
Just to tell you I won't let go.
Don't you let go."
- The Maine

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Hunter's POV

"Shut up."

"I didn't say anything."

"You were thinking it."

"I mean, it's just.., you got in a fight."

"Please don't."

"On the first day of school."

"Can we stop talking about this?"

"Right after you got mad at me for fighting at that party. Over, what was it again?"

"You know, this is why no one ever tells you anything."

"Over me?"

"Please shut up."

"Because she called you a what?"

"Hunter, I swear," Mia finally snaps before giving me a look that says if I value my life, I'll consider my next words very carefully.

To be fair, I probably should've stopped bugging her for details by now, but in my defense, I'm still having some trouble fully grasping whatever the hell just happened.

Last I heard, Mia was supposed to be stopping by the bathroom before meeting me in the cafeteria. Next thing I know, a couple of freshmen are sprinting by me in the hallways yelling something about a fight.

Naturally, I ignored them because I figured there was no way in hell it had anything to do with Mia.

Imagine my surprise when I'm walking by the admin office ten minutes later, and I see her sitting there, uniform in disarray, looking like she just went twelve fucking rounds.

The word shocked doesn't even begin to describe it.

Of course, my first thought was that Palmer must've had something to do with it, and I was about five seconds away from beating the shit out of him before Mia explained what actually happened.

I'm still a little fuzzy on the details, but it sounds like Nicki was spewing her usual venomous crap at Mia before making the mistake of actually reaching out and shoving her. That's pretty much all it took for Mia to snap, and considering the day she's had so far? I can't say I blame her.

Still, I'm having a hard time believing she actually got into it a fight. Reckless violence has always been more my thing, and it's the last thing I would've expected from her. From what she told me though, it sounded like Nicki didn't give her much choice.

It was fight or flight, and like the badass she is, my girl chose fight.

Damn Nicki. I've always known that girl was less than intelligent, but physically assaulting Mia? That pretty much gets her promoted to full-on batshit crazy. I hope she got it out of her system today, because she won't get a chance like that again.

Not if I can help it.

Protective instincts aside, the idea of Mia fighting for me is actually kind of hot. In fact, if we weren't in the admin office right now, I'd be thinking about hauling her into a janitor's closet somewhere for some privacy.