7 | realizations

| @cringelee's chapter |

When Jack and Mark both pulled away from the kiss, Jack realized what he had just done. He pushed Mark off of him and ran. He just continued to run, ignoring Mark's shouts. 

Later at his house that night, he barely heard any of the conversation his father was trying to have with him at dinner. All he could think about was Mark, and what they had done. They had kissed. Jack, a boy, had kissed Mark, another boy. He wasn't gay; he couldn't be. It must have just been the fact that Mark was putting him under pressure. 

"Jack, are you listening to me?" Jack snapped his head up to look at his father. 

"Ah, uh, yes." Jack stuttered; he actually hadn't heard a single thing his father had said. 

"I was asking you about school. How was it today?" 

Jack hesitated. "Just like any other day. It was good." When his father nodded, Jack went back to moving the food on his plate around.

"Quit playing with your food. Why haven't you eaten yet?" His father set his fork down, looking Jack in the eyes. "Are you sick?"

Jack shook his head slightly. "I'm just not hungry, I suppose. May I be excused?" When his father nodded again, Jack got up and went to his room, leaving his full plate on the table.

Jack tried to go to sleep that night, but he couldn't. All he could think about was Mark and that kiss. Then another thought hit him. He had sinned. He had kissed someone of the same sex. But, it wasn't like he was in love with Mark. Right? While he certainly was not in love with Mark, it occurred to Jack that he actually was falling in love with him. Jack felt about ready to cry. His entire life he had grown up thinking that being gay was wrong and a sin, and here he was. It would make sense that he was gay, seeing as he hadn't been attracted to any girl for his entire life so far. 

Then he began to stress. What if his father found out? Would he kick him out? Tell him it's a phase? His father wouldn't house a sinner, even if it was his own son. Jack decided he just wouldn't tell his father. Ever.

Then he began to panic again, thinking about the people at school. They already made fun of him for being the priest's son; surely they'd make fun of him for being gay? He wondered if Mark liked men, too. He did dare Jack to kiss him. So maybe he did like the same sex? Jack's heart skipped a beat for a moment, but then he realized there was no way Mark would like him.

Jack felt like he was nothing compared to Mark.