5 | bad influence

| @cringelee's chapter |

When Jack entered the school that morning, he rushed to his first class, not caring if he was early. He couldn't hang out with Mark anymore, and Jack was too scared to tell him that. His solution? Just avoid him. Jack figured it would be easy enough; Mark was a grade above him. They didn't have any classes together. 

After his first class was over, he attempted to rush to his second class, but the halls were crowded with other students. Jack could have sworn he saw a flash of red hair in the sea of students ahead of him, and he quickly turned around, hoping he could take a shortcut around the school to get to his second period. 

"Church boy!"

Jack's heart sank as he recognized the voice. Mark must have seen him. He quickened his pace, ignoring the remarks from other students he accidentally bumped into. As much as he wanted to turn around and go to Mark, he knew he couldn't. Mark just wasn't a good influence. 

"Jack!"

He faltered for the slightest second, then continued walking to his class. Couldn't Mark take a hint? He felt guilty for ignoring him, but it's what he felt he had to do. He spotted his second class and made a beeline for the door, and he felt someone grab onto his sweater. Pulling away hastily, he hurried in and sat down. He looked to see who had grabbed him, and he could have sworn he saw Mark heading down the hallway, opposite Jack's classroom.

Time Skip

Jack was dreading lunch. He had a packed lunch in his bag, but he wasn't planning on eating in the cafeteria. He decided to eat in the bathroom; the very same one that he and Mark had hung out in during the assembly.  He was sat in the corner of the bathroom, his bag and lunch next to him on the floor. He was about to take a bite of his sandwich when someone rushed in.

"Church boy."

Jack nearly dropped his sandwich. How would Mark have known to look for Jack in here? Snapping back into focus, Jack bit into his sandwich, ignoring Mark.

"Why have you been ignoring me all day? Did I do something?" Jack looked up at Mark, surprised to see that Mark looked hurt about this.

Jack set his sandwich in the container with a sigh. "I can't hang out with you."

"We've only hung out for like, twenty minutes. Why can't you hang out with me?" Mark leaned against the bathroom wall as he stood in front of Jack.

Jack hesitated. Would Mark beat him up if he didn't like the answer? Would Mark bully him? He decided to just spit it out. "You're a bad influence. My dad would be upset if he knew I talked to you." Jack stared at the floor as he said this, unable to look Mark in the face.

Mark let out a sigh, which was followed by a laugh. "Who cares what your dad thinks? You don't have any other friends, do you?" Mark sat down next to him, taking a cigarette and lighter out of his pocket.

"Just don't tell your dad, I suppose. Besides, you're not getting rid of me." Mark grinned at Jack, causing Jack's heart to skip a beat. 

What was this feeling?