First Month Done

Rain patted the window as my troubled eyes scanned the gloomy sky. My head lay against the window, throbbing from the clamor of wild students around me. The school bus trundled along the bumpy road, splashing in large puddles and sending big waves off to the side.

I hugged my small book bag close to my chest, regretting the thought of having to walk home in the rain once again. I felt a finger poke my arm, and my gaze swept over to a girl my age, with high cheekbones and an upturned nose, her hazel eyes showing concern.

"Emma, you ok?" She asked, her light brown hair pulled back into a ponytail. "You've been really quiet since we got on the bus."

"Sorry." I shifted in the seat to turn to her. "I've um...got a lot on my mind." I came up with the best excuse I had. "But I'm still taking the offer for you helping me with calculus tonight." I grinned, attempting to change the subject. "You can't weasel yourself out of that one, Haley."

Haley had been mainly my only friend since the beginning of high school, and she always sat next to me on the school bus while riding home. Right now, we had just barely survived the first month of our junior year.

"I know that, but," She twiddled her fingers in her lap, something she often did when she felt something was wrong. "This isn't about you seeing...people again, is it?"

I remained silent for a moment. Ever since I could remember, I'd always seen people wandering around, unaware of things around them, or they'd just stare at me with intense eyes. It felt like I was the only one who saw them. Just yesterday, I had seen a little girl, probably around three, hugging a teddy bear while crying on the side of the road with other drivers paying no mind to her. Her tearful eyes, full of sadness and hatred, were staring right at me. Either I lived in a cruel world, or I was going crazy.

"Maybe." I shrugged. "Are you sure you didn't see that little girl yesterday?" I asked for like the thousandth time.

She bit her lip as the bus came to a squealing stop and a handful of kids tromped down the steps to where their parents waited in their cars. Her eyes traveled to the few that had to walk in the pouring rain with their book bags pulled over their heads. She shook her head. "Don't bring that up again, I swear, you're just seeing things."

"That's what everyone says." I grumbled as I sat back in the seat.

"Stop being a moody joody." Haley teased. "Just because it's raining doesn't mean you've gotta be upset about it."

"I'm not upset about the rain." I said.

Before Haley could open her mouth, a guy with dirty blonde hair came up behind our seat. "What are you two ladies talking about?" He gave a cheeky smile, revealing dimples.

"None of your business, Todd." Haley crossed her arms.

"Oh, admit it." He chuckled. "One of you has a crush on me and you're gossiping about how totally hot I am."

I fought back with everything I had to not burst out laughing, but lost.

Haley joined with me, "In your dreams." She laughed, tears streaming down her face. Mainly anything could make her laugh, and she would always laugh so hard that she'd cry.

Todd's eyebrow jerked up, then he shrugged. "Another lie." As he slid back down in his seat. Todd was basically the annoying, desperate guy in school who tries to make practically any girl admit to liking him.

"He's probably the one with a crush." I commented.

"Don't be ridiculous, Emma," Haley shook her head, wiping away her laughing tears. "He's way out of our league."