I nodded in agreement. When she didn’t say anymore I stood up to leave. I took two steps before she reached out and grabbed my wrist. Forcing me to turn around and look down into her eyes. “Promise me you’ll find out what’s wrong with Rose, Belikov.” Her eyes were no longer watery, if anything they looked determined. “We can’t lose her. Mentally I mean.”

I nodded. “I promise.”

Alberta sighed and leaned back releasing her hold on me. She ran a hand through her short brown hair. “One more thing. Do you think we need to get Hathaway into a therapist?”

I took a moment to think about that. Therapy would help her, but I don’t think that’s an issue as of right now. And if we did decide to place her into a help program it will only push back her field experience more.  I shook my head. “No, she’ll be fine. If the problem worsens within this week I’ll set up an appointment with one of our therapists.”

Alberta seemed to like this idea. She nodded and clasped her hands in her lap. “Very well then, I need---“

Her next words were cut off by a loud bang of the front door. I spun around as fast as I would if there were a Strigoi standing behind me. My instincts made me reach for my stake. But my fingers stopped to rest on the cold metal surface as I noticed who I was about to attack.

“Ivashkov! You are out of line!”

Green eyes stared back at me, messy brown hair drenched from the newly falling snow. Adrian smirked at me as he walked toward us. Kirova was behind him, looking upset and pissed off as usual.

“I told him he couldn’t come in here without an appointment. That Moroi were not permitted to enter without further acceptance, but he just won’t listen.”

Adrian plopped himself down on one of the few couches we had in the guardian building. He stretched out his long legs looking bored. “I told you Kirova I go by my own rules. Besides I’m not a student. I have rights!” His words had a slight slur to them. And it took me a moment to realize he was drunk. Shaking my head I looked over at a now fuming, red faced Kirova.

Headmistress. And because you aren’t a student doesn’t mean you get to barge into whatever building you want. You’re not even part of our staff, you have no right what so ever.” Her words were clipped and had venom dripping off of them. I couldn’t remember a time when Kirova wasn’t this mad. Excluding the past visits from Rose.

Adrian waved that off as if it didn’t even matter. And to an Ivashkov it might as well not. “Yeah, I get it. I came here for a good reason, and since you wouldn’t approve I went to the next best source.”

Adrian’s eyes searched both Alberta’s and mine. Emil and the other guardian were still standing in the corner, but were no longer focused on the paper Emil still clutched in his hand. Their eyes were wide and surprised. I had no doubt Alberta and I looked the same.

Kirova huffed at that as she positioned herself next to Adrian. “Requesting Rosemarie Hathaway and Vasilisa Dragomir to Victor Dashkov’s trail isn’t a good reason to come barging into every staff building on this campus.”

He smiled up at Kirova as she stared him down. How he managed not to cower under her piercing glare was beyond me. “Oh come on, let them come. I’m sure my Aunt will be thrilled to have the last Dragomir in her courtroom. Considering they’ve been absent for over two years. They need more power in their government.”

We all stared at him in shock. Never before had a royal talked about the Dragomir’s death like that. Everyone looked at it in sorrow and pity for Lissa. But then again Adrian was drunk and probably didn’t know half of what he was saying.