Harkin

The boy always adorned the color red. He wore a red hood, red designs in his black clothing, red down to his shoelaces. Red. Some called him the Red Riding Hood of the village, others called him murderer, or a monster hunter. Only I know his real name. Only I know what he really does when he goes out into the woods. Only I know what he hides underneath his cape. For I saw it once. I had built up the courage to ask what he does, he didn't reply but gestured to follow him. Instead of ignoring me like the rest of the villagers who failed in getting a word out of him. He led me through the woods and not once did he miss a step or loose his balance. He was confident in his stride. The red cape flowing behind added grace in his walk. Unlike I who stumbled and trip in the rough terrain. Not once did he show his face from beneath the hood as if he was hiding himself. I wondered why but chose to let it go. What he was about to show must be more than enough and I shouldn't pry. 

We came upon an overturned tree in the middle of a river. At the base there were possibly hundreds of wilted roses littered across the trunk. I could only imagine... He reached behind his back to pull out a lively bright red rose and place it on the top.

He places a hand on the bark, "I come here every now and then, because those monsters... took away my family. My little brother." His voice breaks.

"You want to avenge them?"

"Prevent them from taking more." He adds.

A silence broke through. I let him have it. So he could pay his respects. I couldn't handle even thinking loosing my own family to a bunch of werewolves. Their bodies becoming a mangled mess... It hit me hard, and I couldn't hold back anymore. I ran to him and hugged him from behind, it being a little awkward since he is taller than me and wider in muscle. But he didn't move away as I cried shamelessly into his caped covered back. In fact he turned around and embraced me in his strong arms. He caressed my hair and said sweet nothings. No one knew what he went through and he dealt with it alone. How terrible it must be. As my cries change to small sniffles, we hear a rustling near by.

His head snaps in its direction, "Darren, I need you to go back to the village." He whispers.

My heart beat spikes with worry, "How do you know my name...?"

He avoids my question. "You won't get hurt, I promise. I'll distract them while you run back. When I say 'go', alright?"

I nod my head in understanding.

"They've never come this close to the village before, I'm sorry I've put you in danger."

I wanted to say it wasn't his fault but i wasn't fast enough because in a split second he yells, "GO!"

Hell broke out. Werewolves jumped out of hiding and run at full speed towards us as he runs towards them. I wanted to run away like I was told but my feet didn't listen to my brain. I stood like a statue, watching as his red cape flows behind him as he takes out two silver Sai from his sides and begins attacking the first row. He succeeded in defeating them in seconds flats. For the next row, he reaches into one of his many pockets and pulls out some sort of ball. He throws it at the ground and a cloud of green smoke explodes and lingers in the air, making many wolves near him choke as they breathe it in.  He continues to skillfully attack each one, not a single werewolf could lay a canine on him. It was an amazing sight to see as he slashes through a furry neck and a crimson liquid flicks off the blade as he pulls through.

What wasn't amazing, was that I was still standing there like an idiot but it was all too late as I heard a growling behind me.

I turn around to look at it and slowly back away from its closeness. Which only made it howl and snap its jaw at me. If I had ran when I had the chance...

"Darren!" He shouts and when I looked to him he throws a Sai toward me and I quickly duck.

The werewolf wasn't fast enough. Before the Sai struck its target a whimper left the werewolf and then the body hit the floor.

"I told you to run! I can't loose you too!" Those words awoke something in me and had me sprinting out of the woods.

---

Its been hours since I ran home and I have yet to see him come back. I was beginning to worry as the sun hid behind the horizon. I cleaned my home, and cooked myself a meal. I read a few chapters of my favorite book. I was having the urge to go find him when the door was slammed open. It is him! I rush forward and help him up.

I give a quick check over his body, various slashes cover him. He needs a bed to rest, so I pull him over to mine. I carefully take off his red hood and shirt to be able to clean and bandage his wounds.

I grab my kit and begin to work, "this will hurt..." I want him but he pays no mind.

When I've finished I pull the bed sheet over him and make sure he is comfortable.

"I'll be back with some food."

"Darren.. thank you." He says above a whisper.

I stroke his hair, "anything for you. You did save my life." I kiss his cheek, very close to his lips.

He gives a shaky smile, "anything for you."

A/N: the boy with the mechanical heart is up, though now the name is just Mechanical Heart. Thank you for reading!