Broken Wings

I strapped my hard hat on with the connected flashlight. I took a deep breath, looking into the dark cave that is said to hold many wonders. I quickly checked needed items in my backpack and began my journey to find my treasure.

Ever since my old man told me stories of his grandpa finding treasure in a cave in the highest mountains of our land, I've made my goal to find it again. He didn't keep any maps or directions on how to find it. The only thing I know, is that it will shine the brightest blue when you find it. You'll be able to get whatever you wanted with it. Whatever your heart desires.

I fix my goggles and take careful steps as I descend into the darkness. Out of the few caves I've found, this one gave me a gut feeling, and as my dad tells me, follow your gut! So  that's what I'm doing. If something tells me I should go right, that's where I'm headed. I use the flashlight to guide my way, to step over dangerous rocks and watch out for my head.

I wonder if I'll be able to gain what I want most. Love. For years years I've been isolated from my nasty scars. While my dad was hunting, I was attacked by a mountain lion when I wondered off on my own. I was weak and couldn't defend myself. I was lucky my dad had been there to kill it in time. But the damage was done. My face carried four deep, diagonal claw marks. Teeth marks embedded in one shoulder and a chunk of skin is gone on the other. My torso and legs also red of different sized scratches. My body is hideous. Too embarrassed to be seen again in public, too afraid to bullied at school, I asked my father to keep me inside four walls as much as he could. I thought I would do fine, having my dad at my side. But I've come to realize, I'm missing, needing that special someone to make the loneliness disappear.

With my scars, I knew it would never happen. No one would want to love some helpless, defenseless, useless guy like me. So here I am, looking for whatever treasure my grandfather had found one day, that's said to give what you most want.

All of the sudden I felt a pulse against my skin, sending shivers down my spine. What was that? My skin grew goosebumps as my hair stands. Another pulse. I think I might be going the right way! I move my feet faster into the direction of the pulse. I jump over each obstacle in my way. Excitement shoots threw me as the pulses are faster and harder, causing rocks to fall, some hitting me. I kept going. This has to be it, there's no other explanation for these pulses!

I ran and ran, tripping over multiple times, and falling on my back from the strength of the pulses. I don't stop for anything. Not even when the roof of the cave collapse behind me. I cover my face with the scarf around my neck, not bothering to waste time to take out the mask. I feel in my gut that I'm getting closer...and that was proven when the pulses changed from a strong force, into a soft, blue light. Shining my way towards it in flashes. It was like it is blinking, one second the cave is dark and the next it is a bright blue. I slowed down to a walk as the cold cave became warmer and a feeling of safety washes over me.

The blue light became brighter and forms a shape with every step I take. Soon, I came to a stop. I covered my eyes to protect them. The object resonated a low tuneful hum and as it blinked, I caught a glimpse of the beauty. A butterfly. A blue butterfly. This was the treasure my grandad talked about? A small thing, a butterfly, what can I do with it? Obviously, it has come sort of power.

It's light dies down and the humming dulls. I gently brought my hand down in front of it, and to my surprise it doesn't fly away but crawls on. I take a better look at it and see that it's right wing is torn at the bottom. A pang of empathy shoots through me. Something so beautiful is scarred. Yes, I considered myself a good looking guy in the past, I knew it and people around me knew it. I had used it to my advantage, taking things and never giving...breaking hearts. Call it karma when I was attacked, for doing the things I did. I regret and am sorry for hurting those around me, I didn't know any better. I was at the prime of my youth. But that doesn't excuse it.