Will You Still Love Me?

We sit at each other's side, reminiscing our pasts together.

"Remember the day I brought you home to meet my parents, and my old man lost his marbles?"

He chuckles, "I've never seen someone turn so red as fast as he did."

"Yeah, and even more angry with your tattooed arms and bad boy look," I shake my head.

"I'm glad he got over it though. Otherwise it would have been hard to keep seeing you," my husband looks down at me, lovingly.

"Please, you would've found a way around it. You wouldn't care that he didn't like us for being gay. You loved me and would do anything for me, I knew it. My father came to realize it. Good thing mom was always on our side, she helped a lot."

"I still do and yeah, your mother was a great woman," he pulls me closer into his embrace.

We rock the bench swing for a bit until he speaks up again, "how about you Macario? Do you still love me, sagging tattoos, wrinkled skin and all?"

"Everything to your big, droopy ear gauges," I poke the open space and gave his cheek a peck.

"Don't do that, you know I hate it."

I frown, "you hate my kisses?"

He rolls his eyes, "of course not, I love your kisses. Even in our old age you poke my gauges just to annoy me."

I smile cheekily, "Of course!"

He smiles back and flicks my nose, "and I love you with your big round glasses and gray hairs."

I sighed, I hated my glasses when I first got them. We didn't have enough money to get new ones so I was out of luck. But when I met Darien, he said I was the cutest thing ever. Apparently the glasses made my eyes bigger and I guess, a more puppy like face. Darien always said something about my glasses that would make me blush, so I kept them.

"Can you believe we made it this far?" I ask.

"We're sitting on a bench swing, in the front porch. Yeah I believe it."

I laugh, but it quickly turns to coughing.

"Take it easy, Mac..." He looks at me with concern in his eyes as he soothingly rubs my back.

"Sorry, I just remembered the time you said 'I will not turn old and gray, wasting my life away sitting on a bench swing in the front porch!"

"Yeah, yeah. But as long I'm with you, I know I'm not wasting my life. As long as I'm with the one I love." He rests his head on my shoulder.

"You're still as sappy as ever. It never helped with your bad boy look"

"Well that's because I fell in love with a cute little nerd with puppy eyes. How could I ever be mean to such a cutie?"

"Hmm was that it?" I respond, "not because of my smarts and good personality?"

"What good personality? You were evil! Getting me to do whatever you asked, bending me to your will. Of course I had no objections though, because I love you" he retorts.

I chuckle, "alright, enough with the old men being all lovey dovey. I'm going to puke."

"As long as you give me a kiss" Darien makes a kissy face and I roll my eyes.

I give him one anyways, "I love you Darien."

"I love you more Macario. Let's head inside before it gets chilly."

He stands and pulls me up with him as the sun sets over the horizon. Our youth days are long over, and our wise years are numbered. But I know if he is by my side, I will welcome death with a smile, and if he is first to go I'll patiently wait for my time to come. He wouldn't have it any other way. He would want me to live my life to the time it is intended to end, otherwise he will surely be angry when we meet on the other side. He can really hold a grudge.

"I have a surprise tomorrow for your eighty fifth birthday tomorrow" Darien states.

"Oh really?" I ask and he nods.

"Mhm, hurry and get into bed so tomorrow can come faster!" He shouts excitedly.

I laugh but follow in his foot steps.

He's my everything, I'm glad I was able to spend my life with him.