Glass Hearts

I let out a loud yawn as I stretch my arms. I stayed up a little late last night to finish up a project due later today for work.

"Baby?" A sweet voice asked.

A smile spread across my face and I quickly pull myself out of the covers. I walk over to the small vanity where he sat.

"How did you sleep? You didn't work yourself to sleep did you?"

His worried voice and care for me made my heart soar.

I kiss his cheek, "No, I know you don't like it when I work too much. That's why after today, since I finished my project, I'll be taking a vacation."

His face lit up with excitement, "Really? They're finally letting you off?"

"For two weeks," in reality, I hadn't asked my boss yet.

See, I worked for the mafia. I was the best of the best so the boss kept me close. Always giving me a job to do. Last night, I was sent to collect money from our employed drug dealers. Things got out of hand, almost costing my life. They didn't like how much they were getting paid and outnumbered me and my three men. Two died and one was injured. All I could think about was coming back home to the love of my life. To be back in his loving presence that kept me going all these months. Of course he doesn't know what it is I do for a living. I hope to get away from it all, with him, soon. So we can be together, in peace, without troubles and judgement.

"Valerio?" My sweet boyfriend lifts his hand up. A gesture we do often now.

I lift my hand and place it against his cold one, "Yes, Jayden?"

"I love you" he smiles lovingly at me and I do the same.

"I love you too." The gesture was a sign that even though we couldn't actually be together, we're still close enough for our love to break the barrier.

"You should be getting ready for your last day at work. Go on hurry up so we can have more time for ourselves later" he shoos me off.

I will try my damn hardest, for Jayden, to get out of this mess. He deserves to be happy. He deserves to have everything he could ever want. I plan to be the one to give him the world.

He blows me a kiss as I set off to do my morning routine. I pretend to catch it and place it over my heart. He giggles as I sent one back and made my way to the kitchen to make myself breakfast. I looked at the time and ate quickly. I rush back to our room and wore one of my good suits. I turned to my mirror on the vanity.

"How do I look?" I ask Jayden and he appears to my side. He lays his head on my shoulder.

"Absolutely handsome. Fix the tie though, and flat out those wrinkles."

I smirk, "of course, my love."

I do as he said, "I'll be back home soon. I promise."

"I'll be waiting for you, always," he wraps his arms around my neck and nuzzles my chest.

"I'll always come back for you"

He looks up and smiles, "go on now, don't be late."

"See you later" I look at him once last time before heading out to my car.

During my drive back to work, I think back to when I first met Jayden. I was sent to take down one of the boss's shop managers. Said he refused to pay the money he owed. Turned out it was a small shop that sold a variety of things. One being a small square mirror. Who knew that something like a mirror, could change my life.

"You refuse to pay what you owe, we are force to take something of more value. In this case," I looked around the shop, "your life."

The middle aged man grew furious, "this isn't right! I didn't ask for this! Just leave us alone!"