Chapter Six

~ BRAD ~

Brad watched the scene unfold with wide eyes, his mind working quickly to piece together what he was seeing. Amy was standing five feet away from Don, her face pale. Don was here—that was the important part. Don was here, in Adam High, and Amy was in danger. Why hadn't Kiara seen it coming? Why hadn't he?

Jesse rushed forward, his eyes frantic. Brad followed his gaze—right to the knife tucked under Don's belt. Brad couldn't find his voice, but Jesse did. "Amy, run!"

Amy jerked the door hard, hitting Don on the side of his face. She screamed as he lunged for her, but she was faster and took off down the hall.

Brad spun at the sound of glass shattering, watching wide-eyed as black-cloaked figures dove through the windows. He recognized the Meramibila immediately. Students screamed, diving for the floor as the Meramibila, inhumanly fast, raced for the door. It took Brad only a moment to recover—he dashed after them, yelling Amy's name. He didn't know why she was involved in this, but he knew he hadn't trained his whole life as a Protector to stand back and watch Don's men as they destroyed everything that stood in their way.

Brad raced down the hall and knocked out the first three guys he saw. As expected, their bodies evaporated. When he wheeled around, he saw Amy fighting off at least seven guys at once. She punched one in the face, ducked to avoid two others, and high-kicked the next one.

Brad gaped. Amy was not only pulling off moves he was pretty sure she had never learned, but she was winning!

A particularly hefty Meramibila came up behind Amy and rammed her into the wall. She lost no time. Amy spun around, threw out her leg and kicked her attacker's jaw. Her long hair blinded the next guy, whom Brad raced forward to eliminate—but not before Amy got to him. He tripped over Amy's outstretched leg, landing on the floor and evaporating on impact. She yelped in pain when the last opponent punched her square in the stomach. She fell to the floor, clutching her abdomen, her head bent over her knees.

"Amy!" Brad dashed forward but, again, Amy was too quick. She rolled over, threw out her leg and tripped the guy. He fell backwards against the lockers and disappeared.

Brad froze, panting, and surveyed the scene around him. Where there should have been blood and groaning men, there was a clean hallway. Where there should have been a bruised and exhausted teenage girl, there stood a brave Amy, clutching her stomach.

"Amy" was all Brad could get out as Jesse dashed past him.

"Amy! I'm so glad you're OK." Jesse wrapped his arms around her and when he pulled back, Brad saw he was smiling, almost teary-eyed. "I knew it would come back to you. I knew you could do it."

~*~ AMY ~*~

Thoughts raced through Amy's mind like cars on a highway. It was much better to be surrounded by Jesse's arms than by black-robed men with knives—until Amy realized Jesse was supposed to be the bad guy. Jesse let go of her, and Amy realized that Brad was standing in the hall a few feet away, his face etched with confusion.

What just happened? They were the only words her normally quick mind was able to come up with. She started replaying the past five minutes, unable to produce a logical explanation that answered all her questions.

Somewhat on autopilot, Amy started walking back to the classroom, Brad and Jesse following wordlessly behind her. While she wasn't exactly thinking straight, she certainly didn't expect what she saw next—as much as she hadn't expected to see Don, or to be chased by men with knives. Mr. Hicks was standing over Don's bleeding cheek as her classmates yelled over each other, but they stopped as soon as they saw Amy. Carley appeared to be in an animated conversation with Mr. Hicks but paused when she saw Amy and rushed to her side.
"Amy, I was wrong! Jesse's here to help you!" she blurted.

"Is this how you treat your friend?" Mr. Hicks demanded. Amy had never seen him so angry. Sweat dripped off the ruler under his armpit. Now, it seemed so strange to think she used to find that funny. She didn't think she was capable of laughter right now.

Amy felt like she was still in shock. "What do you mean?"

At the sight of Don, her thoughts started flowing again. How had he stepped out of her dream? Why had at least ten men chased her in her own school? Why had they disappeared? How had she gotten out alive?

"He's not her friend," Jesse said between gritted teeth. "He sent the Meramibila after her, and he had me tied up in the back room!"

"Nonsense!" Mr. Hicks took three angry steps forward. "What in the world is a Meramawhat? I don't see anyone!" He paused, as though suddenly realizing something. "Oh, the guys who came through the windows? Just a bunch of pranksters who will surely be expelled."

"But that doesn't make sense!" Amy had never stood up to a teacher before, but she had a sinking feeling in her gut that a lot of "nevers" were starting to take place.

A cool breeze was coming in through the broken glass, like it was here to sweep away the remains of everything that had made sense to Amy until now.

Mr. Hicks folded his arms across his chest. "Not everything does, Amy. I find it hard to find sense in wanting to hurt an old friend." He gestured to Don, whose cheek was bleeding. Amy flinched, remembering how she'd swung the door to escape from him only moments before.

Mr. Hicks took a few slow, heavy steps, stopping in front of her. He towered over her. "Amy, I don't know what else to say, but I certainly expected more than this."