Chapter Two

"Come on, you can do it!" Carley pushed Amy forward. The school day was over, and their science class was emptying into the hall. "Just tell him I can't make it, and you were all set to see your movie so now you're disappointed."

Amy groaned. "Carley, I don't think I can do that." She was watching Brad, who was animatedly informing Eric of something or other. He looked so cute when he waved his hands like that...

Suddenly Carley stepped in front of Amy, blocking her view, and began talking in a loud, frantic tone.

"Amy, I'm so sorry I got detention. I mean, you were all excited to go the movies and you even borrowed your dad's car...is there anything I can do to make it up to you? It's too bad someone else can't go with you...I mean, especially since the movie is free, what with you working at Masterdom Movies and all."

"What's this?" Brad asked, looking over. "Free movie? Amy? Carley not going? Friend needed?"

Carley faked relief, looking over her shoulder with a hopeful expression on her face. "Brad! Maybe you can go with Amy. To the movie. Instead of me. Since I can't go."

Brad grinned. "Me? Go? Sure. Free movie? Love to."

Amy exchanged looks with Eric, but secretly, she was dying to burst. "Is it just me, or are they talking? Like? This?"

Eric shrugged. "Not sure. Don't know. Can't tell."

They all burst out laughing. "Seriously, though," Carley continued, "I can't go tonight and Amy's got free tickets to the movies."

"Well, I'm in," Brad said, giving Amy a bright smile. Suddenly she was smiling back. "I'll meet you at your locker, okay?"

As Amy watched Brad and Eric leave the room, she felt incredibly light inside. Brad actually wanted to go to the movies. With her. Tonight.

Amy's heart started beating faster. "I can't believe this," she realized. "Brad and I are going to the movies!"

Carley was beaming. "Thank you, thank you very much." She added a sweeping bow.

Amy's head was practically spinning. "We're going to be alone, Carley! This is like a date." She let out a nervous giggle, hitting a particularly high note.

"That was the point," Carley said with a wink.

"Carley! Sit down," Mr. Hicks ordered, reappearing from the office located off the classroom. "Amy, off you go now."

Amy hugged her best friend. "Thank you so much!"

Carley grinned. "Have fun!"

"You too!" Amy paused in the doorway and looked back at Carley, who was watching with a skeptical look on her face. "Well, you know what I mean. Bye!"

Amy soared down the hall and still felt like she was floating when she reached her locker. She was looking at her reflection in her locker mirror and applying lip gloss when—

"Okay, so how are we getting there?" Brad asked, his blond curls appearing in Amy's mirror.

Amy jumped. "Getting where?" She clumsily shoved her lip gloss in her pocket.

Brad looked at her with confusion. "The movie. Which movie is it, anyway?"

"Oh! The movie!" Amy straightened, taking a deep breath to calm her beating heart. "I'm driving."

"'I'm Driving'? I never heard of that movie." Brad looked as if he were beginning to regret his decision.

"No, I'm driving." Amy couldn't help but smile. "That's how we're getting there. The movie's called Friendly Foes. It's a comedy starring—"