Chapter Twenty: Who Kissed Who

Weirdly enough, the first person that I told about the truth I just learned wasn't Kendra. Part of the reason was because I didn't want to hear her say "I told you so." Also, she was working over time at Marie's because they were short in staff. I didn't want to intrude. But I have to talk to someone about my findings. And the only one who knew about the text message aside from Kendra was Topher.

I was outside of the diner where Topher's Gophers sing every night. I was thinking twice whether I should go inside or not. What if Topher's busy? And what if he has Sarah with him? I tried calling his phone before I went here, but he wasn't answering. I left a voicemail to call me back, but he hasn't yet.

"Dee?"

I turned around and saw my ex-boyfriend, Dave. He was smiling at me, that same crooked smile he wears every time. He was cute, and there was a dimple on his cheek. "What are you doing here?" he asked, approaching me. 

"I'm... looking for Topher," I said, returning his smile. "There's something I need to tell him."

Dave raised an eyebrow. "Topher, huh? Are you aware that every Wednesday Sarah comes with him?" he asked. "Wait, do you even know who Sarah is?"

I internally groaned. So I was right. Sarah's with him. "Yes, I know who Sarah is," I grumbled. 

"What are you going to tell him, anyway? Is it that important?"

"It's very important and it's private," I replied. 

"Well, I guess Sarah wouldn't mind to have Topher taken away from her for a second," Dave joked, shrugging his shoulders. "Come on, I'll walk with you."

"Thanks, Dave," I said, smiling at him. 

Dave opened the door and led me inside the diner. There were a lot of people sitting around, eating and talking. There was a band singing some indie song on stage. I followed Dave backstage where other bands were just chilling, smoking and laughing, waiting for their turn to sing.

"So, how are you, Dee?" Dave asked, walking beside me now. "I heard from Topher that you're with this young rich businessman."

I looked at him, obviously surprised with his remark. "Topher talks about me?"

Dave burst out laughing. "Not in that way," he told me.

"In what way then?" I demanded.

"Sometimes when we're just chilling around, he would talk about his mother, Kendra, you and Sarah... Topher likes to talk about a lot of things. Especially if he's drunk."

"Oh," I said, slightly disappointed. I thought... Never mind.

"So, you're into older guys now?" Dave asked, going back to his original question.

I chuckled at that. "I was always into older guys, Dave. You're the only guy that I've dated in my age."

"True," he replied. "Where are you going for college?"

"NYU. You?"

"Seriously? NYU, huh?" he said impressively. I just shrugged modestly in return. "I'm just going to the local college. Nothing much. Besides, I wouldn't want to leave Topher's Gophers. They'd be lost without their amazing drummer."

"Not that amazing, bro."

Dave and I turned around and there was Topher, grinning crookedly. "We can find a better drummer than you in a heartbeat, Dave," he said, ruffling his hair.

Dave patted down his hair. "Ugh, damn you Topher," he said, glaring at him.

Topher then turned to me, and he seemed surprise to see me. "Dee? What the hell are you doing here?" he asked, frowning at me.