Chapter Nine: Dinner With A Monster

"Kendra?"

"Yes?"

I rolled over to my front and looked at Kendra, who was sitting on her beanbag chair, reading a book. "Do you mind if I stay for dinner tonight? My parents are out since they're having a date night tonight. I kind of forgotten to tell you about it," I said, somewhat apologetically.

"Sure. Sarah's joining us for dinner, too," Kendra said, pushing up her reading glasses on the bridge of her nose. "I guess it's time you finally meet her."

I made a face, but I didn't say anything. I know I mentioned that I liked Topher before, but that was when we were kids. Sure, he may be a douche and all, but he was like a big brother to me and he actually cared for me. And this was going to be the first time I'm going to meet his girlfriend. Sarah's actually the first person he could actually call "girlfriend." The others were just one-night stands and I didn't even spare them a thought. But this Sarah is different.

"So, what's up with James tonight?" Kendra asked, putting down her book on her table. She took off her glasses and rubbed her eyes.

I shrugged. "I called him up this afternoon, asking if he wants to have dinner together but he refused. He and his father are picking up this Vietnamese businessman in the airport tonight."

"Wow," my best friend murmured, impressed. "Don't you feel such a grown-up? You're dating this really successful person and we're out of high school. This is how it feels to be an adult."

"Yeah, because being eighteen is such an adult."

"Well, we're legal enough to be in jail," she pointed out.

There was a knock from the door and Kendra said, "Come in." The door opened and Janice stepped in. After Topher told me about her sickness, I look at Janice as if she was a sick person every time I see her. I know it's not right, and very rude, but I just couldn't help it. Besides, she didn't look sick. She still looked pretty and young. She's a couple of years older than my mom, but it was as if they were of the same age.

"Dinner's going to be ready in a few minutes. Why don't you help me set the plates?" Janice asked Kendra.

Instead, she groaned. "Ughhh... but I'm tired, Mom. Can you just ask Topher or something?"

"He is accompanying Sarah in the living room."

"She's here already?" I inquired.

Janice nodded. "She just got here. I must say, she surprised me with her clothes tonight."

Kendra turned to me to explain. "Sarah likes to wear dark pieces of clothing. She always wears thick black eyeliner and black lipstick. She's this rocker-chick thing."

"But she's different tonight," Janice said. "She's wearing a dress. And not just any dress. She's wearing a pink dress."

"Ooh, I want to see!" Kendra said, her eyes lighting up. "I want to see if Topher actually has a good taste in girls."

"That is, if you help me set the table downstairs," Janice said, raising her eyebrows to her daughter.

"Fine," Kendra said, and followed after Janice.

"I'll help too," I said, getting out of Kendra's bed.

"No, you are a guest," Janice said, smiling at me. "You go to the living room with Topher and Sarah."

"This is so unfair," Kendra grumbled and went down the stairs, stomping her feet like a small child.

Janice just chuckled but then looked at me seriously. "I know Topher told you about my sickness," she said quietly. "It would really make me happy if you won't tell Kendra anything about it."