Chapter Five: Second Glance

"Dee, I have something to tell you."

I looked up at Topher as I fastened my seatbelt on the passenger seat. "If you're going to confess your undying love for me, then by all means, give me a knife so I'll stab myself. Oh wait, scratch that. I don't deserve to die. Give me a knife so I'll stab you instead," I said sweetly.

Topher gave me a deadpanned look. "You really think you're funny don't you," he said, starting the engine.

"I'm the class clown," I said, shrugging. I swear, nobody really gets my humor most of the times. "But, seriously, what are you trying to tell me?"

He sighed. I suddenly went serious. Topher had this torn look in his eyes. It was as if he was deciding whether to tell me or not. I was just about to ask what was bothering him when he blurted out, "My mom is sick."

"What?" I gasped, shocked. "Why didn't Kendra tell me about this? Or Mom?"

"Because she's trying to keep it as a secret," Topher replied through gritted teeth. It was obvious that he doesn't approve Janice keeping it as a secret to everyone.

"Well, is it something serious?"

"Not as of this moment," he told me slowly. "It's something about her heart. She mustn't exert that much effort in her work like she used to before. She's not getting stronger or any younger. Kendra doesn't know about this. Mom told me not to tell a soul."

I frowned at him. "So why did you tell me about it?"

"Because I need your help," he said, glancing at me before turning back to the road. "I need a real job. Not just playing in my band. It's not going to be enough. Kendra's off to college and I know she's in full scholarship and that's amazing but it's not enough. We still have other things to pay for."

"You know you could always talk to my parents," I said softly. "Janice and my mom are practically best friends. They would love to help you out."

"That's the thing. Mom doesn't want to ask Mrs. Garner any help. And I don't want to, too. Your parents had done a lot for us, and... asking them for more money is not appropriate anymore," Topher said, suddenly embarrassed.

"Not appropriate?" I repeated incredulously. "Topher, you are like family to us. I mean, yeah sure, you could be a douchebag for all I care, but your family and mine are one. You don't have to borrow money because it's not appropriate."

"Dee, I'm trying to ask you if I could work for your dad for the whole summer," he suddenly blurted out.

I looked at him in surprise. "What? But my dad's a dentist. What do you know about teeth?"

"I know I don't know anything about teeth, but I could work as an assistant maybe. Or a secretary to organize his schedules and stuff," he suggested. "But I'm only free during afternoons. During the morning, I'm working at Greg's repair shop, fixing cars."

"Christopher," I said, using his full name, "I think you need to slow down. I get it, your mother's sick. But don't you think having two jobs is too much? And Kendra's going to work part-time with your mother in the diner. You need to cut yourself some slack."

"Madison," he countered, using my own full name, "I think I can do this. I'm strong. I'm young. By morning, I'm a repair guy. By afternoon, I'm a dentist's assistant. And by night, I'm this rocking handsome lead singer and guitarist of my own awesome band."

I rolled my eyes at that. "Fine, whatever. I'll tell my dad if it's okay."

"Just don't mention Kendra I asked for your help," he said, smiling sheepishly. "You know how she feels whenever we ask you money. She gets embarrassed and stuff."