Chapter Seven: An Old Friend

A lot of people were getting emotional with the graduation coming up. People kept hugging each other. There were boys who kept singing Alice Cooper's "School's Out." I wanted to point out that there was still college, but wondered whether they would even go. Some girls huddled in small groups and I could hear them whisper, "We'll still keep in touch, okay?"

On Thursday afternoon, the day before graduation, Kendra and I were cleaning up our lockers. We agreed beforehand that we wouldn't get all teary-eyed while storing everything away, but Kendra kept sniffling beside me. She also kept reminiscing about every single object she picks up inside her locker.

"I remember when Vincent wrote me this amazing poem," she sobbed as she looked down at the piece of paper she was holding. "He was such a good boyfriend. He treated me nicely and wrote sweet things about me. I should go out with more writers in the future."

"Why did you break up with him, anyway?" I asked, frowning at her. Kendra might have had twelve steady boyfriends ever in her whole life, but I know she only treasured three of them. There was Vincent, an English major in college she dated when we were in junior year. And then there was Ethan, who she met through me. Ethan asked me out originally but then asked about Kendra the whole time we were eating dinner. In the end, I set him up with Kendra. She immediately liked him but they had to break up because he moved to another state.

And then there was Daniel, who she loved more than anything in the world.

"I broke up with Vincent because I didn't love him anymore," she said, shrugging her shoulders. Kendra was the kind of person who believes in falling in love and then falling out of love while some people believe that you can just fall in love once in your whole life.

"Huh, I kind of liked Vincent, but Daniel was still the best," I said, waiting for her reaction. She didn't like it whenever someone mentions Daniel. It brings back bad memories, she always said.

But this time, she smiled a small dreamy smile and nodded. "Yeah," she murmured. "He was the best."

"Kendra! Dee!"

The both of us turned around and saw our other friend, Margaret Graham. She's a great friend and Kendra and I met her when we were all freshmen. She's loud and quirky, which was so unlike us. She sometimes hangs out with us. You could say that she's our adopted child.

"Hey, Margaret," I greeted her as she continued panting, out of breath, before me. It was no question she ran all the way from here.

"What are you guys up to?" she asked, grinning up at us.

"Cleaning our locker," Kendra replied. "You should, too, you know. You should clean all those dirty bubblegum you stuck there for the past four years."

The two of us laughed, leaving Margaret blushing. It was in her nature to chew gum all the freaking time and just leave it inside her locker. She never leaves her books there, anyway. In fact, I haven't seen her bringing a book for the past four years. It's a wonder how this girl could be our salutatorian.

"Maybe I won't. It would be quite a surprise for the next student who will use it," she said, smirking wickedly.

"Ugh, you're disgusting," I told her, but there was a smile on my face. "Anyway, why don't you help us clean our lockers? You're not going to clean yours anyway."

"Fine," Margaret sighed and kneeled down to help me with my stuff. "Hey, Kendra. Are you going to the cemetery later?"

I looked at Margaret, as if she grew another head. She just did not say that. She knew that topic was off limits. Even I kept thinking about it earlier. I just did not mention anything, in fear of hurting Kendra's feelings.