Chapter Eight: Goodbye, High School

When my name was called by the principal, I hesitated before I went up to the stage. I looked at the audience where I could see both of my parents, standing up in front of the other parents, no doubt blocking their view. My dad was holding up his camera while my mom was flailing her arms all around. I grinned at them and waved my hand. Some people may get embarrassed with those kinds of parents, but to me, they're the best.

"Dee, your name was already called," Margaret, who was behind me, muttered in my ear.

I snapped back to reality and walked up to the stage, smiling at my silver-haired principal, Mrs. Dame. Usually, she looked stern and strict, but when I reached out for my diploma and for her hand to shake, she was giving me an actual smile. "Congratulations, Ms. Garner."

I looked at her, dumbstruck, before giving her a smile of my own. "Thank you, Mrs. Dame."

"I see your parents are still quite the same – loud and wild. I remember when I shook their hands on their own graduation," Mrs. Dame said, her voice filled with nostalgia.

I beamed proudly at my parents, who were still howling and cheering loudly. The other parents near them gave them a cold stare but they didn't seem to notice. I thanked Mrs. Dame once again and went down the stage.

I looked at the diploma on my hand and I felt it crashing down. I finally graduated high school. No more walking on the hallways at eight in the morning to fetch my things in my locker. The people I've known since kindergarten would move to their own colleges. And then I remembered Kendra. She's going to stay here in the neighborhood while I'll go to New York alone.

"You okay, Dee?" Margaret asked as she grabbed my elbow, pulling me once again back to reality. We were seated alphabetically, and luckily Margaret's last name is Graham and mine is Garner.

"I just can't believe we're already done with high school," I whispered in anguish. "It's all over. You're going to Yale, I'm going to NYU and Kendra's going to the local college. We're all separated. And I think I'll even miss Maggie!"

I expected Margaret to laugh at my sudden outburst but she just smiled slightly. "Hey. Everything's going to be fine. I may find new friends in Yale but you and Kendra hold a special place in my high school part of my heart."

I looked behind me, but my eyes were not set on my parents (who were thankfully seated down properly now) but to the huge building I used to call my high school. I smiled sadly and closed my eyes, vowing never to forget everything that ever happened in these hallowed halls.

***

"Congratulations, Madison!" Mom said, kissing me on both of my cheeks as soon as I approached them. "You finally did it. You graduated the terrors of high school."

"Congrats, Dee. You should see the pictures I took," Dad gushed, showing me his camera. "You look absolutely breathtaking in these photos!"

"Oh, and by the way," Mom whispered to me, "James is here."

I felt my eyes widen as I looked at my mom. "James is here? Where?"

"I think he is in the cafeteria, grabbing some snacks. He'll be back in a few," she replied. "It seems like he's acting more than a friend, huh?"

I blushed but didn't say anything to deny it. She was right, though. James was more than a friend. He may be a summer fling, but he's more important than most of my regular guy friends.

"Janice!" Mom called out to her friend.

I turned around and saw Kendra, also in her red graduation toga. She grinned when she saw me and hugged me. "Celebratory lunch with my family?" she invited me. "I mean, yeah, we did this before in Topher's graduation, but this time it's not in the house."