Chapter 30: Ab Initio

Lucy found herself once again on the threshold of Shorewind. Unlike John, she was not taken with the splendor of the home, not anymore. All she saw was what she was going to face inside. The truth, told to the man she loved and his mother. It was a truth she didn't even know she could face, but she had to. It was holding her back from the one thing she wanted most.

"It's a grand thing to know nothing of love," Lucy muttered. "At least then you aren't aware of the stupid things you would do for it."

"You mistaken stupidity for nobility," John assured her. "Besides, how bad could it be?"

"With this woman's wealth and stone face, I couldn't tell you," Lucy was going to say more, but just then the door opened, and the footman on the other side greeted them with a smile.

"Mrs. Beauchamp is waiting for you in the drawing room," he said as he led Lucy and John in. "May I take your coat, sir?"

As he did, Lucy tried to school her breathing. She was shaking horribly, she hoped no one noticed, but the least she could do was avoid having an attack.

"If you will follow me," the footman turned to lead the way.

Lucy wanted to bark at the man and tell him that she knew where she was going, but she held back. Still, moving at this horrid leisurely pace all the while prolonging the inevitable didn't help her nerves. Lucy knew that in the end she would move mountains to be with Ross, but still she couldn't shake the hope that she could get Mrs. Beauchamp on her side as well. There was no malice in the woman, she merely loved her son. Lucy couldn't hate her for that.

When they arrived at the drawing room, the footman knocked gently on the doors before opening them.

John turned to her and gestured. "After you, sister."

Lucy wished he would go before her so she could hide behind him, but that would do her no good. To have what she wanted she had to face forward and grow a spine. No excuses, no hiding, that was the way it needed to be.

"Here goes nothing," Lucy picked up her skirts and followed the footman in.

The first person she saw in the room was Ross, who was standing there, tall and regal, a broad smile on his face the moment he saw her walk in. Lucy felt her heart leap in her chest, and the familiar feeling of warmth, protection, and love came rushing back. She wanted to run to him, kiss him, let him hold her and feel his arms around her. She wanted to breathe in his familiar, musky scent and know that everything was going to be all right.

But then reality sunk in, as it so often did, and Lucy turned to look at Mrs. Beauchamp, who was watching her like a hawk. Anything untoward would be noted and, likely, cataloged in that woman's brain for life.

"Mrs. Beauchamp, Captain Beauchamp," Lucy curtsied.

"Miss Quincy," Ruth Beauchamp bowed her head gracefully. "And who is this strapping lad?"

"Begging your pardon," John bowed deeply. "My name is John Brandon Quincy, Lucy's..." He looked at her.

Lucy nodded in encouragement, letting him know that it was time for the real truth to come to light.

"I am Lucy's half brother," he said, turning back to Mrs. Beauchamp and Ross. "In theory."

"What is that supposed to mean, then?" Mrs. Beauchamp asked.

Lucy sucked in a breath. "It's is quite the long story, and John and both have a piece to it."

Mrs. Beauchamp gestured to the couch across from her. "Indulge me."