Chapter 3: I Am Unbound

James Boatwright was a dashing gentleman now, no longer the portly little boy that Lucy remembered from her childhood. In fact, he looked like he would have had every girl in London society fawning over him if he ever decided to make himself known there. Tall, with dusty blonde hair and striking blue eyes, Lucy felt for a moment that this was not James but an imposter... And a handsome one at that!

Lucy stood there for a long time, wondering if she should say something but unsure of what to say. James looked rather uncomfortable, as though wondering if he should remain standing there quietly or say something to fill in the void of silence.

Thankfully, Beatrice had them covered.

"Would you like to introduce me to your friend, Lucy?"

Lucy winced and cleared her throat, blushing deeply as she stood back and gestured to James. "James, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Beatrice Thornton, from London. Beatrice, this is James Boatwright, my... Friend..."

"A pleasure," James bowed to Beatrice and smiled. "If London is full of women as lovely as you, I shall have to find a reason to pay it a visit."

"Oh," Beatrice waved her hand with a coy giggle. "You're charming, for a country boy."

"James has been a dear friend of mine since childhood," Lucy said quickly, still embarrassed. "We have many fond memories together don't we, James?"

"We do," James turned back to her. "It is so very good to see you again, Lucy. The years have done you well."

Lucy didn't know if she could blush more than she already was, but somehow she managed.

"Mother sends her best wishes," James continued, reliving Lucy of any obligation to reply. "Unfortunately, as my father is quite ill, she remains ever at his side and rarely leaves Dawn-Bridge."

"Of course," Lucy nodded quickly. "I must visit her and your father, it has been far too long."

James paused, then laughed uncomfortably and shook his head. "That... That is not necessary, truly. She is just happy you arrived here safe," he kept the smile plastered on his face but she saw right through the facade.

He's trying to keep me from Dawn-Bridge... Lucy wondered why. She knew vaguely that her mother and Mrs. Boatwright never got along, but did that mean that she herself was not allowed in her own friend's home? It wasn't as if she had been barred from Dawn-Bridge as a child!

What was James hiding?

"... Rather a charming town," Beatrice was saying, drawing Lucy from her thoughts. "It's growing on me steadily, though I would not mind a tour, if you would be so kind as to give me one, of course. Perhaps even Lucy can do with reacquainting herself with the town."

"I don't need to be reacquainted," Lucy jumped it. "I remember lots of things! Throw me out in the middle of the market blindfolded and I can find my way home within the hour."

James smirked at her. "I do not doubt that you could," then he turned to Beatrice. "As for a tour, it would be my humble honor to give you one! But first," he gestured to Lucy gently, "I hate to sound so crass, but would you mind...?"

Beatrice caught on immediately and nodded with a cheeky grin at Lucy's expense. "I will leave you two old friends alone," she winked at Lucy, who glared, then giggled and turned to walk towards their carriage, still holding the stack of papers in her arms.