Chapter 21: Speak Only Your Perfect Lies

In the later hours of the day, a tension was about the town of Lanfore, the likes of which all could feel. Everyone was on edge, but most had no idea why. During this time, Magistrate Sherman Donaldson called his daughter, Elizabeth, to his study a handful of hours before dinner. He knew exactly what he meant to say, and it was of the utmost necessity that it be done.

He knew that blackmailing James Boatwright was a risk beyond any he had ever taken before. But that was a cross he was willing to bear. There was no reason that his family could not be elevated to the level of the former Magistrate's, especially seeing as his was an honorable regime, and the late Magistrate John Quincy's regime had been built on secrets, adultery, and lies. Lanfore deserved to know those secrets, but Magistrate Donaldson did not want to be the one to tell them, especially if he could get something greater out of keeping silent, such as a proper and smart match for his daughter, and a man like James Boatwright under his thumb for good. After all, despite his many faults and immaturities, James Boatwright was very wealthy. His family owned a good portion of Hertfordshire, and he was among the elites. Magistrate Donaldson knew he could not hold a candle to James Boatwright's influence, but he could bring the great man down off his high horse long enough to marry his daughter by manipulating his weaknesses. James loved Lucy Quincy, and would loathe seeing any defamation fall on her family name.

Such an odd man, to have a taste for the daughters of Magistrates.

"Father?" Elizabeth knocked on the door, and then gently pushed it open. "Father, are you in here?"

Magistrate Donaldson stood and beckoned his daughter in. "Yes, my dear, come. Sit," he gestured to the chair across from his desk. "We have something of great importance to discuss."

He watched his child gracefully take her seat, her movements a picture of how her mother had taught her. She would easily make a good wife to any man, James Boatwright especially.

"What is it, father?" Elizabeth asked, folding her hands on her lap.

Magistrate Donaldson smiled, though he felt his innards churn at the thought of what he was going to say. "I've recently spoken with James Boatwright regarding a possible proposal of marriage."

The light that shone in his daughter's eyes elated his soul. "Oh, father! Could you possibly mean a proposal of marriage to me?"

"But of course, my child!" He laughed. "Whom else should I concern myself with? James and I discussed it and, once he has settled some... Affairs, he will make a proposal."

Elizabeth's giggled and placed a hand over her mouth. "You are certain, father? I thought he and Lucy Quincy—"

"Ms. Quincy has left Lanfore, possibly for good," the Magistrate assured his daughter. "You need not worry about her, my child. James Boatwright will be your husband, sooner rather than later."

"Oh, father, this is wonderful news!" She clapped her hands excitedly. "I must tell mother!" She stood.

"No!" The Magistrate stood as well. "No, no my dear. Let us leave this between the two of us for a while, shall we? Surprise her when the time comes."

"But mother hates surprises!"

"She will love this one," Magistrate Donaldson assured her. "Trust me, my child, this is all for the best. Now," he walked Elizabeth to the door, "go downstairs, and do not tell a soul, do you understand? Not a soul. Do you remember what I have always told you?"

"Nothing is ever entirely for certain," Elizabeth recited, "so what you think you know must always be guarded well."

"That's it," he kissed her forehead. "Now, off you go."