Chapter 26: When the Wayward Ships Come Home

Mother,

I write this to you with an elated heart. By the grace of some wayward God, The Capricorn avoided a deadly squall on the way to Portsmouth, and had to reroute north, towards an island called Belmoran. I've never heard of it, it is rather small.

You will never believe this, mother, but Lucy is here as well. I happened by her at a dinner with a family that goes by the name of Worthington. She is staying here with them, and it did not take long for her to realize whom I was. She is aware of everything now. She knows that I am John Quincy's son and, oddly, she seems relieved by it. Perhaps she feels as though I can relate to her on a level no one else can.

We have spoken at length about a certain letter written by Abigail Quincy to Arthur Denning when he was imprisoned. It was given to Lucy by her friend, Beatrice Thornton, and that was how she found out that Arthur Denning was her father. She also mentioned that James Boatwright proposed to her, and was rather furious when she refused. All these things combined proved to be too much for her, and she ran away from home with a visiting captain by the name of Ross Beauchamp. That is how she ended up here.

She has mentioned a few times in conversation that she misses you, and that you were the only female influence in her childhood that she remembers warmly. It gives me great joy to know that she does not resent you. She has grown into a fine, beautiful young woman.

I do feel as though I am at loss, however. I expected the worst from this encounter, I expected her to shun me and make me feel like a fool. I was not prepared for this level of acceptance. And not even that, she leans on me. She depends on me now, and I want to be there for her. I am there for her, truly... But what can I do? I need help, mother. We both do, Lucy and I. We need answers, that is the only way either of us will get the closure we need.

I think you know what I mean: Lucy needs to speak with her mother. That is the only way that will solve anything. She needs to speak with her mother.

I am going to support her for as long as she wants to stay here. I will help her with anything she needs. But we both know that won't be enough to heal her. Lucy needs her mother. Abigail is the only one that can give her what she wants: closure.

I hope you are well, mother. I miss you every day. I hope that you do not mind if I am meant to stay here longer than intended. Perhaps when this is over I will be able to see Lydia as well then come home.

Before I finish this letter, I must make mention of something important about this Worthington family. The daughter, Eliza, is a strikingly beautiful young lady, and extremely kind. I wish you could meet her, mother. I am quite... Taken with her and, if I do stay longer, it may be because I decided to play the fool and court her.

That is all I have to say by way of news. Know that no matter what, the winds will bring me back home to you.

Until such a time I am, most sincerely, your loving son,

John

XXX

Eliza peeked around the corner in time to see Lucy stepping out of her room. She drew her head back and thought through of how she would go about confronting her. She didn't want to seem overbearing, but she suspected there was something more between Lucy and John than what was being let on. She knew that this was likely none of her business, but Eliza figured that if Lucy was staying in Roseway, the least she could do was be honest.