Kayla didn't try to manhandle me, she was actually trying very obviously to not touch me at all. I guess she trusted that I would walk besides her. 

She was right. I wasn't going to run. I had come here willingly.

"I can't say that I'm sorry you're being taken like this." She said, looking away. "I am sorry that you're my brothers mate though. He doesn't deserve this."

"No." I agreed, "He doesn't."

He deserves far better than me as a mate. 

"We have our reasons for doing this. You will understand." She said, in a quiet voice. "Or he'll make you understand."

I wondered who this 'he' was, but I didn't want to press her about it, there was too much emotion in what she was saying. 

The rest of our walk was silent, eventually Kayla began to slow, almost in fear.

The wind shifted, and I smelt several scents, including the stale scent of blood. 

For the first time, I noticed a slight change in Kayla's scent since the last time I saw her. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it was almost as if-

"Kayla! You brought her. Excellent." A male wolf called out.

He came forward, and I instantly recognised him as the man from my vision, orchestrating the killings. 

The tall man came closer and grabbed Kayla, pulling her into him. Kayla easily melted into his presence.

Was this... her mate? Yet she seemed so... afraid of him. 

"You will be rewarded, my darling." He said to her. I stared at him in shock. He had turned Kayla so that her back was now facing me, and I could see his hands holding her tightly to him. 

Kayla's hands wound upwards into his hair, and she desperately pushed herself closer to him. This resulted in the man stumbling backwards a step, and he quickly returned the favour by pushing her away, I watched in horror as she fell to the ground.

"Do remember who is in charge here, Carla." He said to her. "You are forgetting who we are in the presence of."

Kayla didn't seem phased by him not remembering her name, that or she was hiding it well. "Yes sir."

I was absolutely baffled. How could her mate treat her like that?

"Charlotte. Walk with me." He said. 

The way he said it made me think that everyone followed this man without question, he never needed to truly enforce anything. What was so special about him that meant nobody would ever stand against him?

"I suppose you're wondering why we have brought you here. We'll be leaving soon of course, can't have your mate coming to find us." He laughed. 

I looked down at my feet. No, we couldn't have that.

He may not act like he wanted me as a mate, but I was sure it would break him if he thought I had left willingly. That was a reputation to be avoided, for an alpha. 

"We're just lucky we found you before you were marked." He laughed, in a way that implied we were friends. "That would have caused complications."

"Why?" I asked, bluntly. 

"My dear Charlotte, I do apologise for our method of contacting you. We understand that you are the purity that our world needs, and we know that seeing such murder offends you." He told me. I was taken aback, he was apologising? 

"Then why did you do it? Why did you have to kill ten of them?" I asked, and then as an afterthought "What do you mean purity?"

"We do not know how exactly you're visions work, we weren't sure that one was enough. Besides that, the ten children volunteered." He said, we were walking now, they seemed to have formed a settlement here. "One must witness a lot of death to understand the evils of this world, Charlotte."