He was being a workaholic and he had hardly any time for me, but I understood. For me, I was spending my days as a queen. I looked over which citizens were made slaves and who was free. I was glad to see that Jesse and his family were free. All in all, we had lost many free citizens to Karo’s evil. Matthias then sighed out of exhaustion.

“Tired?” I asked.

“You try being the Leader of the Dragon Riders, training to control your dark alter ego, fight a tyrant that has taken over the world, and be king. It takes a lot out of you.”

“Try being a slave.”

“I’d ask if you wanted to talk about your captivity, but if you don’t I understand.”

“I don’t like to talk about it, but I think I should talk to someone about it.”

“We can talk a little later. Right now, we need to eat.” He said, pulling out two trays of food.

“Who cooked? It smells good.”

“I did.”

“You’re lying!”

“Nope, I’m not.”

“Why you do that?”

“To show that I can provide for my family without being a Rider or Royalty.”

            That was unexpected. I didn’t know that Matthias could cook. I took some cooking classes and some of my dishes were successful, there were some failures. The menu was steak and mashed potatoes. I melted at the first bite of the steak.

“Did you use magic to cook this?”

“No, just spices and cooked evenly.”

“You’re amazing, you know that?”

“So I’ve been told.”

            Matthias then pulled a small cake out as dessert for us.

“You baked that too?”

“No. I can’t cook a cake. I don’t know why.”

“You handle the cooking meals, I’ll cook the desserts.” I told him, before we dug into the cake.

            After dessert, we retired to bed and decided that after the war would be the best time for a child as our time of war was too dangerous to raise a child. So, in a way I was glad the test was negative. I pulled the covers to my chest and fell asleep with my husband’s arm around me.

            We were awakened by the sounds of explosions outside. Tom and Tyler burst into our room.