Chapter II

When I awoke from the nightmare, I heard Matthias grunting.

“Matthias?” I asked. Fearing for his safety, I followed the sound of him grunting and found him fighting with a black knight. The knight grabbed Matthias by the throat and pushed him down to the ground. He was about to stab him, until Matthias kicked him away and said.

“Now you’ll know the true meaning of mercy, my fat metal friend.”

            He then swung his sword at the knight’s head and it cut off.

“Enjoy the show?” He asked, turning to me.

“I thought you were in danger.”

“I had to get the morning training in with my new toy.” he told me. “And be lucky that no one’s in the hallway.”

            That was when I realized I was in nothing, but my red undergarments. I was pretty sure that I blushed the same color. I think I would have died on the spot if someone saw me. I remembered when we returned to the Elven Kingdom when Matthias and I were kidnapped by the trolls. Liana and Sarah poked fun at my outfit when I as a slave to Ryan. We then headed back to our bedroom before anyone saw us and I decided that he should take the first shower because he was sweaty and stinky. I took the next best thing to a shower. I put on a robe, gathered my new shell clothes and headed to the swimming hole. They were different than the ones I wore when I was thirteen. My shell top had one strap around my back with scallops covering my breasts and small shells making the strap. My skirt had a shell waistband and grass reaching to the top of my knees. I removed my robe and undergarments and dressed in my shell clothes and went in the water until I couldn’t reach the bottom and then shifted my legs into a tail. It was a darker green than Vanilor’s scales and was strong. With a few strokes of my tail, I glided through the water and let myself sink to the bottom. I could hold my breath for a good amount of time, but not forever. As I landed gracefully on the bottom of the water hole, I closed my eyes and enjoyed the cool temperature of the water. Although I knew that I was going to be cold when I surfaced. I then felt a gentle touch on my shoulder. I opened my eyes and saw a young blonde haired girl. She looked about seven, but the thing that struck me odd was that she was wearing a top made out of seaweed and in place of her legs was a deep purple tail. Her eyes matched her tail, but they held fear.

“Why are you out here? It’s dangerous.” She said in a tiny voice.

“Why?” I asked. I always thought that the water hole was safe when Oceana was around.

“They could be out here.”

“Who?”

“The…” she seemed too scared to finish.

“The what?” I asked, trying to encourage her.

“C’mon, before they know we’re out here.”

            She then took my hand and went to small hole in the rock. I was then greeted by two other mermaids on the other side of the hole, only their tails were orange and brown. They then spoke that I should be introduced to the leader. Before any of us could speak we were ordered to stay where we were. Five muscular mermen then grabbed us and brought us out of the tunnel. At the end, we were brought to a large village that was named Karo’s Hope, by a sign and it was inhabited by merfolk. The mermen were strong and muscular. Some wore vests and some were bare chested. The mermaids were beautiful and their most common feature was their long hair, some had it beyond their tailfins. They wore seaweed tops or shell tops, like mine, but some wore nothing at all. Their hair was their cover. All of them stopped what they were doing and looked at us. Some of the mermen started at me, enchanted. The guards brought us to a large castle made of coral and made the four of us kneel before a merman sitting in a throne of coral. He had, pale skin, shoulder length back hair, and a black tail to match his sinister brown eyes.