Chapter XVIII

After I could walk without pain keeling me over, I was released from the hospital. Karo’s trial was tomorrow. It was of no surprise that he would be representing himself. There were charges for mass murder, false slavery, false imprisonment of Royalty, and attempted murder and murder of Royalty. There was absolutely no way he could walk away with those charges. I was disappointed that I couldn’t charge him for killing my unborn child, but it wasn’t a person as it wasn’t born yet. Matthias and I would both have to testify against him and Marissa was on the jury. The trial was tomorrow and we had a long journey. However, I couldn’t to sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, nightmares of my captivity. Most nights, I woke up screaming and waking Matthias. He always held me until the fear of the nightmares past. I went to a psychologist and talking to someone about my captivity helped, even if he was just there to listen. Tonight, I woke up silently. Unable to go back to sleep, I went over to look out the window. It had been a month since I awoke from my coma and I wished that my nightmares were more visits from my parents. I missed them terribly and to be that close to death only for them to send me back to Earth, seemed unfair. However they sent me back for a reason: To rebuild my kingdom and put a horrible person away forever.

            As I looked out the window, I felt Matthias place his hands on my shoulders.

“Nightmares again?”

“Yes, I just want to sleep, but the dreams won’t let me.”

“Do you want me to cast a spell for a dreamless sleep?”

“No…well,…I don’t know. I have to sleep in order to stay awake for the trial, but I don’t want nightmares coming back. So I think that a spell would be the best.”

“Alright.”

            We went back to the bed and before he cast the spell, he promised that there would be no nightmares and that he would wake me up when he did. He cast it and I fell into a deep dreamless sleep.

            In the morning, we had a quick breakfast and dressed appropriately for the trial. Matthias wore his armor and I wore my best green dress without accessories. Matthias was in charge of transporting Karo to the World Court, so I had to travel the old fashioned way: by boat. He walked me to the dock and we hugged goodbye before he left. As the ship prepared to set sail, I saw Matthias and Vanilor fly overhead with Karo’s transportable cell in Vanilor’s talons. After many “Are you all right’s” from Sarah and Brittney, I finally broke the barrier and told them how I felt. I was angry, depressed and determined to put Karo away forever. I finally told them about the murder of my baby. They were surprised to find out that I was pregnant, but saddened to know that I lost it when I was stabbed. They all had saddened looks on their faces and they hugged me in a circle.

            When we arrived at the World Court, we had to sign in as this was a higher matter of crime than we ever faced. We sat in the court room and waited for Judge Alexandra Donnelly to start the court and for Karo to show. Matthias led him by the arm to the defendant table. He was in shackles and handcuffs in order to keep him from running. When Judge Donnelly showed up, she swore in and started the court. She was a tough, but fair judge and she was not one to get on her bad side. The jurors came in and sat down in the jury box.