ChaPteR NinE

Brie Gaye

09

It was a month since the night of the endless laughter; one of the few times I had managed to loosen up in my life. A month since I shared my thoughts with someone and someone did with me. A month since Adonis became my driver and confessed to liking me too. I don't know what made me confess or ask him that, but I was happy I did because after that night, I was happier than ever.

Before work, Ad and I would grab something to eat and after work, we would go to his special place where we sometimes made out a little. On some occasions, I had visited his mom as well.

After my first visit to his home, I had proposed giving him two months salary in advance to take care of his mom and pay his bills which he refused at first but like I once said, I could be a brat.

Our little adventures had gone unnoticed and my parents had said nothing or called upon me.

Till tonight.

After the help walked out, I started pacing my room in deep thoughts on other reasons why my parents could request to see me. It could be anything really; new business opportunities, introduction to potential business partners, enquiries about the new authors and books I was publishing, dinner invitations... anything.

As soon as my right foot touched the last stair that led to the living room, my mom's voice reached my ears. "Brie, honey, we've been seeing little of you and you seem to be coming home later than usual. Care to explain?"

When I looked up, I could see that she was trying to taunt me and force the answers out. It was evident that she had her suspicions and was now waiting for me to confirm them all.

I was struggling with my words, unsure of what to say first and how to but like the savior he was, my dad interrupted, "Come on, Adela," he said, facing my mom. "you should let her do her thing. She's obviously been busy with office work."

Then to me, "Pumpkin, ignore your mother. Well, I called to inform you that there will be a masquerade ball at Lincoln Montgomery's home and you're invited as well. We'll be leaving by 6:30 PM. Inform your chauffeur."

I gave my dad a quick nod and walked over to him to peck his cheek. I did the same with my mom and then turned back to leave but my dad's words stopped me.

"Take care of yourself, my princess."

As I bounded the stairs back to my room, I smiled to myself. I wasn't just my dad's princess anymore. I was Adonis' also.

And for the first time, a thought popped in my head that maybe, just maybe I could introduce Adonis to my parents. After all, love conquers all.

***

As I stepped out of the limousine, I caught sight of myself in the glass door of the Montgomery's. My make-up was done so that my eyes were like a cat's and my eyebrows, perfectly arched. My lips were bright red and my hair pulled back into a tight bun. Strands of hair were left hanging at the front so it curled at both sides of my face. My eyeshadow was glittering black like my dress which snugged perfectly with my body from the bust down to my mid thigh before spreading free downwards, hiding my silver heels.