ChaPteR Six

Adonis Kant

06

The ride to the office that morning had been quiet and awkward, none of us saying a word to the other as I maneuvered the Bentley through the streets of Olympia. However, when I got out to open the back door for the princess to step out, she offered me a tiny smile. One I had barely missed.

I clenched my jaw to bite back any form of retort that threatened to escape my throat before getting back into the car to park it in order not to miss the bus to Bert's.

On getting to Bert's house, I saw the door was ajar, making me shake my head. My best friend's overconfidence made him disregard his safety.

"Doofus, you're back. How's the first day at work going?" Bert asked just as I stepped into the living room where he was playing a video game. I took the other controller and settled on the couch beside him.

"Princess would be the death of me, I swear. She can be so aggravating and—"

Bert cut me off, "Princess? I thought you were working for Brie Gaye." He arched an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes. "Same person, dimwit. Anyways, she's totally messing with my head. One minute, she's a sweet girl, next, she's acting like I'm nothing and then the other, she's shooting me a smile. I don't get her, man." My head was in my hands when I finished, but when I looked up at Bert, he was regarding me with a knowing smirk. I threw a cushion at him which he caught easily.

"Sounds like someone has a bad case of Love at First Sight."

I responded with a wrinkled forehead, "That's just ridiculous. Even more so than this stupid suit I'm dressed in."

"Well, don't say I didn't mention it, lover boy."

***

I woke up with a start as my phone buzzed to life in my pocket. Squinting at the bright screen, I saw that it was an unknown ID. I pressed the green button and with a groggy voice said, "Hello."

"What the heck, Adonis? I told you I get off work by 5PM but you're nowhere to be found. Who gave you the permission to leave before then?" I heard a familiar voice yell at the other end even though her voice was far from intimidating.

"I'll be there, Prin— Ma'am in twenty minutes tops." And with that I hung up and stretched out of my place on Bert's couch.

The idiot couldn't even wake me up before leaving for his afternoon shift at the bar downtown.

Soon, I found myself in the familiar streets of Olympia. The sun was just about going down when I pulled the car out to the front but a fuming Princess wasn't there like I had expected.

Just as I was about to step into the corridor that led to her office as directed by the flustered Secretary, I could hear voices just at the other end. I didn't know why but I moved forwards, towards the voices.

"Brie, I bet you're still not over me," I could hear a male voice say. Stepping closer towards the corridor, I put my head through to see what was happening.

I could only see the back of a man— probably two inches taller than my 6 foot height— and he was also wearing a black suit like me even though his would most likely buy my whole house. His hair was gelled to the side; just like those rich moguls I had seen walking in and out of this place.

"Get away from me, Garret," Princess seethed. I had heard her snap at her body guards but this, this was real and pure anger mixed with frustration.

The Garret guy leaned closer so his mouth was above her ear but still, I could hear his words. "Nobody can kiss you like I do."

I felt my hands bunch up into the fists as anger surged through me like the liquids in the syringe did when I got injected for measles. But what made me step out was when Garret pushed his lips closer to hers.

"Step away from her!"

***

QOTC: Do you believe in love at first sight? And why for your answers?

The best comment gets a dedication!

KaiA xxx