ChaPter FivE

Brie Gaye

05

There was a time, when I was seven, that my dad had taken me to a fair. To say I was happy would have been an understatement of the century. I was glowing the whole way, unable to hide the two front teeth I was missing with how wide my grin had been. My mom couldn't make it as she had one of those Women Society Meeting stuff to attend.

While at the fair, the only thing that had been running through my head was that nothing could make me sad ever again. But knowing the universe, it served not only lunch that filled one with happiness, it offered dessert that was nothing of the sort.

I had been swinging my dad's arm with my little one as we went from one booth to another. I remember giggling at something he had whispered into my ear while handing me a huge Panda before he asked me to win something for him.

I was focused on winning something for my beloved father but when I did, he was no longer behind me. It seemed like a joke at first as I turned around on the same spot, trying to decipher where he had gone.

I sat on a stone just near the booth, but five minutes had passed and my dad was not there.

Now that I thought back to that day, it would have been a strange sight seeing a little girl in pigtails running around, screaming. I couldn't form any coherent thought as I shouted daddy left me at the top of my lungs. I had gone into full panic mode. And that was the last time I had panicked in my entire life.

How it happened or why at all was still a mystery but what I knew was that for the second time in my life, I had panicked.

Not when I had set fire in the kitchen, not when I had fallen off my bike and landed hard against a tree; causing my ankle to twist, not when I had set my hair on fire.

No.

What had caused my panic was none other than the mystery boy, Adonis Kant.

Seeing the one person who had taken it up to occupy your thoughts for a week caused kinds of odd reaction in anyone. In my case, it triggered a warning I had received from my mom;

"You give no one the chance to see your emotions. That would only give them an edge when you're down. Especially those lower than you."

I knew well that my mom was one of the most stuck up people I knew— and trust me if I said I knew a lot— but still, I had that fear in me. That fear that if I did one thing wrong, I'd be cast out. And that was the last thing I wanted; to be a disappointment to my family or rather, my dad.

Because of this, I had yielded to the word playing at the back of my mind and ignored that burning sensation that kept the room hot like a volcano yet to erupt. I did what I was taught best to do; I ignored my feelings and looked down on my hero. The hero I ended up hiring as my chauffeur.

One thing was sure though, I was in for big trouble.

***

QOTC: What is the best gift you've ever won in a fair?

Best comment gets a dedication!

KaiA xxx