ChaPteR SevEn

Brie Gaye

07

My eyes widened by a fraction as I watched Adonis saunter towards Garret and I. I could see the irritation growing on Garret's face, slowly, like the way the sun rose. But his expression was nothing like the sun; his eyes grew darker as he sized up my chauffeur— not that he knew.

I stepped backwards, away from Garret and then made my way to stand beside Adonis. Right now, all I needed was to stay as far as possible from this psycho ex-boyfriend of mine. And to be honest, I needed to feel safe.

Adonis happened to be my hero once; he could be my hero one more time.

"Who are you?" Garret's cold expression had morphed into one of disgust as he asked that question.

"I'm Brie's boyfriend. The one who kisses better."

"What—" Before, I could complete the word, I was interrupted by Garret's deep laughter. The sound that used to be so musical and silky to my ears. The sound that I used to enjoy being the cause of.

The sound that now seemed boisterous to my ears. The sound that now seemed to mock me.

"You? Brie's boyfriend? You look like you were thrown up by the garbage can and I bet someone like Brie would see your touch as repulsive. Come on, try her."

I was still in shock as I stared at Adonis whose eyes were growing darker as well by the second. All I wanted to do was scream at both of them to quit being childish and then knock some sense into Adonis for claiming to be my boyfriend.

But before I could do either, Adonis had grabbed the side of my face and pushed his lips onto mine.

***

M a g i c.

An allegedly supernatural charm, spell or other method to dominate natural forces.

I happened to have a sort of imagination that maybe, somewhere, this word truly existed but since I never had a true backing or evidence of its existence, I started to believe that maybe it never did exist.

But today, on a day I least expected, I got a sign.

When I first hired Adonis as my chauffeur, I knew that I was in for big trouble because— to be honest— I had a kind of special spark of feelings towards him which I chose to ignore.

I knew very well that I was attracted to him but I let my mom's words fuel my confusion and drive me to not acknowledging his presence at the least. But this morning, something about how the early sun hitting his face at a certain angle made me unable to hold back my smile.

My smile which was rare; I reserved it for my dad only.

And then, just this morning, it seemed like he was a product of magic. No guy had made me smile just by the mere sight of his face.

Now, though, I could proudly back up anyone who rose from nowhere to claim that magic existed. Because when Adonis had kissed me, right there in the hallway of my office, magic happened.

First, Garret was quiet after Adonis pulled away and shot him a smirk. Garret had walked out the next second with not a glance back at us. Only magic could make Garret Crawford keep his loud mouth sealed. Nothing else could.

Right after, my mom's words were starting to play in my head but I, Brie Gaye, mentally pressed the mute button. Not once in my life have I disregarded my mom's words deliberately despite how annoying she could be.

In simpler terms, when Adonis Kant kissed me, I couldn't care less if it seemed like I was disappointing my family. I couldn't care less if we were caught because the second time, I was the one who pulled his head down to mine.

***

QOTC: Do you believe in magic? If so, why?

Best comment wins a dedication!

KaiA xx