Chapter Eighteen

This chapter is dedicated to @Scrollhand because of her help in my discussion thread concerning Haley's hobbies...thank you very much!

Chapter Eighteen

I stand at my locker, sorting through my books. Revision for the algebra test this afternoon? Check. English Lit homework? Check. My calculator? Check. My compass? My protractor? Check. Check. Even though the SATs are over, the tests haven't ceased.

"Why are you looking at me, faggot?"

I look up. The entirety of the football team has gathered in the hallway. The centre of it all is Jake, holding a freshman by the scruff of his neck against the lockers. The corners of my lips curl upwards in disgust as the rest of the football team make no effort to withdraw their laughter. My stomach churns. Every time Jake does this, it makes me wonder how on earth I let this boy kiss me.

And why I kissed him back?

I slam my locker shut. I gain the attention of Jake before he throws a punch at the boy's face. I stare into his eyes long and hard, no longer ashamed, then I turn on my heel and walk away.

"Haley, wait—"

There's a tug on my arm. His touch makes my heart catch in my throat and I convince myself it's only lust. My eyes meet his guilt-stricken expression and I don't say anything. I keep my mouth shut so all the things I want to say don't come out all at once.

"Can I talk to you?" Jake says.

I'm interested to know what he could possible say to me; what excuse he's got in his back pocket. I nod, pinching my cheeks to stop a spiral of curse words from tumbling out of my mouth.

Jake brushes past me to peer into one of the classrooms. He then walks in and I follow him.

Being alone with Jake makes my heart beat faster in my chest. I think back to when we kissed. "I'm sorry," he says, and he stares at his feet. "I know I shouldn't have done it but he—"

"The dude could've been undressing you with his eyes and I still wouldn't have cared," I say.

"Then why did you walk away?"

"Because I'm sick of high school," I sigh, "I'm sick of people thinking they can bully others because they're not on the football team or not pretty enough, I'm sick of people not being able to be friends because of stupid popularity, I'm sick of you acting like you're so cool."

"You didn't mind when I did it before," Jake mumbles.

"That's because I was jealous!"

"Of what?"

I turn away. "You and Esmee." My cheeks flame bright red. I want to dig myself a hole and hide away forever. It wouldn't take much, seeing as I've done a great job of digging myself one already.

"Here's the thing," Jake says. The tone in his voice has changed. It's quieter, softer, more serious. "Ever since we kissed..." He stares up at the ceiling, "...I haven't stopped thinking about you."

I would've thrown a party, jumped so high my head would've touched the sky...if Jake had told me this a month ago. "Admit it," he says. "You can't resist me."

"Yes I can," I say, turning my head. "I think you're a jerk."

Jake chuckles. He inches closer - too close - and I'm forced to look up.

"What?" I say.

"Are you jealous?"

"No," I say. "Not one bit."