Chapter Four

Dedicated to @doodlebug_ because...do I even need to say why? This gal has been here since the beginning. She deserves to have a whole story dedicated to her.

Chapter Four

I spit out the toothpaste and wipe my mouth on the hand-towel. I'm pouring mouthwash into the lid when Mom pokes her head around the bathroom door.

"Haley," she says, "Esmee's waiting outside for you."

"She is?"

"You didn't tell me she was giving you a lift to school today."

"Sorry," I mumble, making it out like I'd forgot to tell her, knowing it would be easier than explaining that I'm just as surprised as she is. I chug back the mouthwash and swirl it around my teeth. I then spit it out. "It slipped my mind."

I wipe my mouth with the back of my hand and Mom says, "There's a boy in the car, whose that?" I have no idea who she's talking about but then I remember: Jake.

"Esmee's boyfriend," I say, and I dash past Mom and run downstairs.

I can't escape her that easily and she catches up with me in the front hallway as I'm putting on my shoes. "Esmee has a boyfriend?"

I nod. "Can you tell Michele that-"

Michele walks in from the kitchen. "Where are you going? We don't have to leave for another ten minutes."

"You really need to be more organised," Mom says to me.

"Sorry, I'm catching a lift with Esmee," I say.

Instead of being angry, Michele's lips curl up into a smile. "So you made friends with her after all?"

"Not exactly..."

Esmee honks her horn. "I'd better go, I'll see you guys later," I say. I slip my coat over my shoulders and pull up the zip. I open the front door and step into the morning sunshine.

"She does have a licence, doesn't she?" Mom says.

"Yes," I sigh. "Bye Mom, bye Michele." I jog up the front path. The morning air nips my skin.

I open the door of Esmee's blue Toyota and climb into the back. "Hi," I say.

"Hey," Esmee replies. "Jake and I carpool every day and we go right by your house."

"Thanks," I say. "That's thoughtful."

"Hi Haley," Jake says.

"Hi." Swarms of butterflies enter my stomach. I stare at him a second longer than I should.

"Jake and I are going to stop off and get coffee," Esmee says.

"Okay," I reply. We have plenty of time.

We go to the Starbucks that's on the corner. It's crammed with people and the line is almost out the door. It looks like Esmee and Jake come here every morning because they're unfazed by the liveliness of the place.

Esmee fishes out her designer purse but Jake tells her to put it away. "Don't worry, I'll pay," he says.

Esmee kisses Jake's cheek and says, "Thanks babe."

My insides twist in knots and I stare at the floor.

We shuffle up the line; ten minutes pass and we're no-where near the till. Esmee and Jake chat endlessly, mostly about school, gossip and upcoming events. We're going to be late if the pace of the line stays the same. They must have a new employee handling the till.

"I'm in real need of my caffeine fix," Esmee says. She taps her foot in time to the instrumental music that's playing on the overhead speakers. "I'm thinking maybe a Double Expresso this morning."