Chapter Thirteen

Dedicated to @WispySouls because, well, she's simply awesome.

Chapter Thirteen

I lean against the counter beside the till and drum my nails against the worktop. It's quiet today, which is fine by me. No customers, no need to interact with anyone.

At four o'clock on the dot, Zac walks through the door.

"Hello," he says.

"Hi."

"Have a good weekend?"

"It was alright, you?"

"It was good thanks."

Our conversation hasn't stretched far from small talk and I've grown to loath his company - not because he's a horrible person (he actually offers very aesthetically pleasing views, especially his hair) but because it's so goddam awkward. Mix someone like me who finds the silence suffocating with someone who enjoys the silence, you have one incredibly uncomfortable Haley Holland.

"Haley!"

My head snaps up. Katherine's head pokes around the kitchen door. "Can you do something for me?"

"Sure."

"We don't seem to be having many customers today, would you mind cutting up some of the cakes and giving free samples out in the middle of the mall?"

"We'd love to," Zac chirps.

Katherine breaks out into a smile. "That would be great, thanks guys."

I open my mouth to protest but no excuse springs to mind. Zac starts gathering supplies, leaving me to pick out the cakes. I peer through glass.

I choose a slice of chocolate fudge cake, two honey nut cookies, a quarter of a chocolate log and two blueberry muffins. "Is that enough?" I ask.

"More than enough," Zac replies. I put them on two trays he cuts them up into one-bite pieces.

"Oh, shall I put some back then?"

Zac raises an eyebrow. "How often do you over-think?"

His question throws me a little. "Um, all the time, I guess."

Zac smiles. "Right."

I stare at my feet. There's a moment of silence where I don't know if Zac's still smiling at me or getting the food ready.

"Let's go," he says a few minutes later.

I pick up a tray and follow Zac out of the shop. We walk to the food court where it's busy. Not many people are eating, though most are walking between the shops, circling the seating areas with their bags of bought items.

My heart thumps in my chest.

"All Things Sweet!" Zac barks, making me jump. "All Things Sweet! Come if you want all things sweet!" He approaches a woman walking passed. "Ma'am, would you some blueberry muffin?"

I cringe at Zac's words. I wish he wasn't so...loud and aggressive. I stand behind him, people now looking at us. I involuntarily turn red and my eyes travel to the tiles on the floor.

Zac carries on giving out free samples. Some people are approaching him but most of them are passers-by. When he sees me not doing anything, he walks back over. "Are you okay?" he says.

"I'm fine," I say. "I've just never done this before."

Zac grins. "Neither have I!"

He walks off, leaving me like a rabbit in front of the headlights. I repeatedly tell myself that this is absurd and impossible. I almost turn around and go back into the shop but then I realise that that would make me look even more stupid.