Chapter Six | Diagon Alley, August 1991

Start from the beginning

            It wasn’t long after Sonia finished her ice cream that she spotted an old friend through the crowd leaving Gringotts, and shot up, shouting his name.

“Hagrid!” she called, pushing through the crowds.

The game keepers face lit up at the sight of the curly haired young witch coming towards him, and he leaned down to hug Sonia’s tiny form “Sonia!” he said happily, letting her go “What’re you doing here, where’s yer Mum?”

Sonia grinned wickedly “Home, and if you tell her I was here I’ll tell Grandfather about your umbrella.”

Laughing loudly, Hagrid seemed to remember that he was not alone. “Yer a crafty one Sonia, that I know. Now, I’d like ye to meet Harry.”

Turning to the small boy beside Hagrid, Sonia’s eyes widened slightly; she knew who Harry was, didn’t even have to ask if he was the Harry Potter.  Andrew had explained to her the first morning of their twelfth year how the little green eyed boy they remember from so long ago was the boy who lived, that their godparents were the famous and wildly acclaimed James and Lily Potter.  Hazel’s photo albums contained hundreds of pictures of a green eyed girl and a sallow faced boy, only laughing when they did. Many of the pages had spaces that clearly had the markings of a photo that had been removed; the twins guessed that they were all the singles of the sallow faced boy, but every time they asked Hazel she would shut them down and ask why they were rooting through her things. The albums had been put away.

Extending her hand, Sonia studied Harry; he looked a lot like her godfather, James, but her godmother’s eyes shone behind round wire glasses held together by duct tape.

“Hello Harry, my name is Sonia.”

Harry shook her hand and smiled nervously “Harry Potter.” He watched her for a reaction, and looked relieved when Sonia didn’t say a word.

“Where ate you two heading?” she asked.

“Well, Harry here needs his school robes, but I was wondering if I could slip off to the Leaky Cauldron. I hate them Gringotts carts.”

Sonia was glad when Harry told him to go on, because Hagrid did look a little ill.

“I’ll go to Madam Malkins’ which Harry, Hagrid.” She offered.

“Thank ye Sonia, and look after him. I’m under Dumbledore’s orders ye see.”

They waved Hagrid away and moved through the crowds towards Madam Malkin’s Robes for All Occasions, Harry looking nervous.

“Relax mate,” Sonia said, moving into the shop “Madam is lovely.”

A woman wearing all mauve appeared and smiled at them “Hogwarts dearies?”

Sonia jerked her thumb at Harry “For him please, first year.”

“Got the lot here – another young man being fitted up just now, in fact.” In the back of the shop, a boy with a pale, pointed face was standing on a footstool while a second witch pinned up his long black robes. Madam Malkin stood Harry on a stool next to him, slipped a long robe over his head and began to pin it to the right length. Sonia disappeared behind the racks, watching to see what Harry would do, and to make sure he didn’t get into any trouble.