Chapter 38/Suicide dance

134th floor/CPU Data center/Palace of the CPU  & Head quarters of the Continuity/Washington 2.0 

"What now darkness?" said Hunter as we crept along the slave passages.

"We need to get back to the Kimjodo finals." I told him. I could 'feel' through the wall and eventually found what I wanted. Something disturbing the Wifi signals. I opened the invisible door in the wall to appear behind a type 47. They looked like large horse-sized metal scorpions. They were more than moderately lethal and quite capable of taking out a hunter killer, a poorly parked tank or a small badly placed building for that matter. Before the machine could say 'I didn't summon you' I rushed up and touched the carbon fiber body near the sensor pod.

I hadn't told Hunter but I (and so he), was taking a  risk. I began struggling to take over the machine's mind. Unlike a Hunter-killer the type 47 was a high-end drone one of a number of autonomous defence systems and operated by the CPU and the palace automatics. If this went wrong the machine would both raise the alarm and ensure we were dead. I fought mentally against the machine hacking into it's mind. Eventually, I decrypted enough of it to shut down its connection. It basically became my drone. I let go the connection and patted it.

"I think I will call you Rover," I said to the drone. 

"How did you do that biscuit?" said Hunter.

I wasn't sure myself. The closest thing I could say was scooping out the machines brain like a melon.

"It turns out I'm half cyborg," I told him. Rover the type 47 turned around and followed us looking like we were its prisoner.

"Which half?" said Hunter.

"My mom's half or my dad's half. OK, The mean half" I told him. 

We passed a long glass wall, behind it blood flowed into racks of computers. This was part of the vast data centre which formed the CPU's mind. We went quite, while Rover marched us passed some other Hunter-killers and other guard robots. We stopped at a glass wall/window which looked out over the machine city beyond. I was hovering between machine time and human time. I appreciated the sun caught on the buildings beyond and felt the track of the millions of different drones flying at all levels through out the city. Some were small others the size of planes. Each moved flawlessly, a ballet of immense complexity. Rules played out in the complex patterns of their movement, shifting like a flight of starlings in the autumn light. 

"OK. You better close your eyes" I told him.

We closed our eyes and I made Rover shoot the glass. This alerted the house defence systems.

"The bad news is they are now coming for us.  If we stay here we will die. The good news is I have a way out, but you have to trust me. " I said. "When I say now, run with me" The timing had to be perfect.

Hunter looked around us. We could hear the sound of hunter killers approaching.

"Now darkness?" said Hunter. Seeing the drop below us and feeling the cool air of the wind outside. I wanted him to jump 

"Wait," I said. As the machines scrambled towards us.

"Now darkness????" asked Hunter.

"Just a little longer," I said. I took Hunter's hand. I felt the world move outside.

The Rover the type 47 turned on our attackers and used the machine guns in the claws to keep them back. We stood still.

"NOW DARKNESS?" said Hunter.

"3...2...1..now" The moment was right I pulled Hunter's hand and began to run.

"Are you crazy biscuit barrels over a lamppost with a shark" said Hunter.