"Yes, please," she said, digging through her purse for her wallet. "I don't have any American money-"

"That's fine, it doesn't cost that much."

"N-No, in that case-"

"It's fine, darl," said the man. "Wanna come with me, little man?"

He stopped sniffling and looked at Ryan. "I..." she said, feeling guilty. "You shouldn't have to pay- my husband will be at the gates, he can pay you back-"

"Please, don't worry. You look very tired." The man beckoned to Spencer. "Is it okay for him to come with me?"

"Y-Yes... of course..."

The man left, and the woman smiled at Ryan. "Would you like me to tell him to buy you a coffee as well?"

"No, thank you. I don't drink coffee."

"Some tea, then?"

"No, that's fine, thank you."

"Hmm. Have you eaten anything at all, my dear?"

"Yes, I had a cup of tea on the plane-"

"But have you eaten?"

She sighed. "No."

"I'll call my husband, hold on."

"I don't need anything, ma'am," she said. "Spencer won't eat much, I'll finish whatever he leaves over."

"No, really, I insist." She called her husband. "Rick? Yes, just buy this young woman a tea and perhaps... do you like the English muffins they serve, dear?" she asked, and Ryan nodded guiltily. "Yes, and a muffin. Bye."

"Thank you," said Ryan quietly. "It's been a long couple of days for me."

"I can see that. What brings you to America?"

"It's a one-way flight. I used to live here, three years ago. I moved to London to study with this little one, and now I'm back. My husband should be here to pick us up."

"I see." She smiled. "My name is Cadence, and that was my husband, Richard."

"Pleasure," said Ryan. "My name is Ryan. Thank you."

There was something oddly familiar about the woman, but Ryan couldn't put her finger on it. Perhaps it was the shape of her face, or her eyes...

"Ryan? I believe my granddaughter's favourite teacher's name was Ryan, too. We're here to visit her, actually."

"What's your granddaughter's name? Perhaps I know her."

"My son's daughter is Lola, and daughter's young lady is named Cassie."

"Lola? Of course I know her! Edwards, right?"

"Yes! Oh, that's wonderful, I can finally put a face to the name. Ryan Hayes-Lockhart?"

"Yes, that's me."

Spencer returned, looking slightly happier, and Ryan smiled gently at him. "Now, darling, do you want me to cut up your hotcakes?"

"I got nuggets!"

"They sell nuggets in the morning?"

"They do in airports, apparently. The time difference must throw a lot of people off." Rick smiled at Ryan, before looking at Cadence. "Well, my dear, it's best we get going, we're almost next."

Ryan was handed a bag, and she thanked them both again, before they left. She smiled at Spencer, rubbing his head. This had given her a glimmer of hope, a sign that someone- some force of nature, something she would never truly understand- that thing was on her side. Maybe that thing was God, she didn't know. But she felt hope, and that was all that mattered.