Chapter Five: Dinner

Chapter 5—Dinner

The next day, I called in sick and took the day off.

After what Harper said to me last night about Colton, I felt like I needed to avoid him.

She tried calling me a few times, but I refused to answer.

Instead, I texted her that I was fine and that she shouldn't worry.

I don't know why I'm stressing over this.

Maybe...I do like Colton.

But I'm not supposed to.

It's just not right.

*

After another phone call from Harper, I finally picked up.

"Hey, I thought I told you I was okay."

"Yeah, like that's going to stop me from worrying. Are you really sick or are you just lazy? What's going on? You seemed fine last night at Mikky's. Did you eat something weird?"

"Um, maybe that's why I feel under the weather," I lied. "It was probably something I ate."

"Do you want me to swing by after work? I can bring you something?"

"No!" I blurted out.

"Whoa, that sounded like an overreaction," she said. "Now, I feel like I need to come over."

"Harper, no, don't. You don't have to—"

"Elena, what's going on?"

"I..." I sighed. "I'll tell you later. You can come over after your shift, alright?"

"Okay then. This sounds juicy," she teased.

I rolled my eyes and hung up the phone.

*

A few hours later, there was a knock at the door.

I opened the entrance and immediately said, "Hey, Harper, I—"

I trailed off when I realized that it wasn't my best friend.

It was actually my boss.

"I'm not Harper."

"I—I can see that. Colton, what are you doing here?"

"Um, I'll explain, but first may I come in?"

"Oh, yeah, of course. Make yourself comfortable."

I closed the door behind him, and I suddenly felt self-conscious.

He was in a clean-cut suit, and I was wearing an oversized t-shirt over a pair of ripped leggings.

Colton held up a few paper bags.

"I brought chicken soup and ginger ale. Apparently, it's supposed to calm your stomach down if—"

"Wait, why did you bring that? Why are you here?" I asked. "Um, not to be rude or anything, but Harper is supposed to be here soon."

"Actually, that's part of the reason why I'm here. Harper told me that you were feeling sick from something you ate, so that's why I brought this stuff. And, um, she won't be coming tonight."

I shook my head and thought, Harper, what the heck were you thinking?

"Colton, look, I—I'm fine. I just...I'm not sick, and I don't have a stomachache or anything. I just didn't want to go to work today, and I'm sorry. I promise I'll work twice as hard tomorrow. So, if you want to leave now, then—"

"Whoa, hold on a second. Are you trying to kick me out?"

"Um, didn't you just come here to make sure I was okay? Well, I am."

"To be honest, I was planning on staying until you ate your soup. I wanted to keep you company."

"You wanted to keep me company? Seriously?"

"Well, call me crazy, but I like spending time with you, Elena. Now, I assume you haven't had dinner yet, so how would you feel if I whipped up something for the two of us. Whatever you want, I'll make it."

"You don't have to cook for me."

"But I want to. Come on, I get to boss you around at the office almost every single day. This is your chance to tell me what to do. What do you say?"

"Colton, you shouldn't—"

"Elena, put a smile on your face and tell me what you want for dinner," he said in his 'boss voice.'

I crossed my arms. "Hmm...well, Harper did mention to you that I like long-noodle dishes. Alright, I give in."

He grinned. "Lucky for you, my grandmother passed down her amazing spaghetti recipe, and I happen to be an expert at making it."

"Ooh, well then chef, you better put on an apron and get to cooking," I teased. "The kitchen is that way."

He took off his jacket and rolled up his sleeves. "Let's go."

*

I sat at the kitchen counter, across from the stove and watched Colton at work.

"So, do you ever cook for Lucy?" I asked.

"Elena, I'm here to spend time with you, and I'd really appreciate it if you didn't bring Lucy into the conversation."

"I'm just wondering."

"Why do you care so much?"

"Why do you care so little?" I countered.

He frowned at me as he covered the pot of pasta. "Let's get this straight, Elena. I'll even put it in terms of fairytales for you, since you seem to always see the positive Disney-type ending of relationships."

"Okay, go ahead."

"You're not a fairy godmother, and Lucy and I aren't the prince and princess who are going to magically end up a hundred percent in love and happy together."

"Why not? What's the problem?"

Colton sighed. "Well, let's put it this way. It's kind of hard for a prince to fully love a princess when he falls for the fairy godmother."

"Colton, don't joke with me like this."

"I'm not joking, Elena." He walked around the kitchen counter and stood in front of me.

"Colton—"

"Tell me something," he said. "Did you skip work today because of me? Were you trying to avoid me?"

"No," I lied.

"Elena, tell me the truth."

"I felt weird after what happened yesterday. I mean, you kissed my cheek and then...after work, Harper and I talked, and she told me something that made me feel even weirder. I just couldn't face you at work today, but here you are, standing in my kitchen making spaghetti."

"What did Harper say?" he asked.

"Nothing, it's not important," I replied.

Colton chuckled. "Wow, you freaked out that much all because I kissed you on the cheek? Imagine if I actually gave you a real kiss."

"You wouldn't do that."

He started leaning in. "Are you sure about that? I might just be the kind of guy who would do that."

"You wouldn't, and you shouldn't."

"I shouldn't? Well, I think that's up for me to decide," he said and stepped closer. He leaned in, stopping just an inch away from my face.

He moved a little bit closer when my phone rang. "I should get that."

"Leave it to voicemail," he ordered and then pressed his lips against mine.