Chapter Four: Cheek

Chapter 4—Cheek

"Okay, Colton, I have those files that you wanted, and you should be ready for your next meeting in a couple days," I said.

I was starting to feel more comfortable at work.

I wasn't as intimidated by Colton anymore.

"Excellent. You are very productive."

"Well, I don't want to let you down," I replied.

"You're certainly—"

He was cut off when the door swung open.

"Sweetie, I've been trying to call you for the past hour," Lucy complained as she barged into the room.

"Did you call my cell? It's been on silent since this morning, so—"

"I also called the front desk. Your receptionists seem so incompetent."

"They're not incompetent. I clearly instructed them to not connect me to any personal calls unless there's an emergency."

"But I wanted to talk to you. Isn't that important enough?" Lucy asked.

"Work is work. I can't just throw everything out, so I can spend time with you. Maybe if you worked a day in your life, you'd actually understand how hard it is to have a career."

"Um, should I go?" I asked, feeling uncomfortable.

"No, no. Elena, stay, you don't need to leave," Colton instructed.

"I don't think so. Elena, you should go. This is none of your business," Lucy snapped.

"Okay, I'll just—"

"Don't listen to her. You don't take orders from her. I'm telling you to stay."

"How about I stand in the middle of the doorway? Then, I'll be inside and outside of the room," I suggested.

Lucy scoffed. "Are you trying to be funny? Because that was pathetic..."

"I was just trying to lighten up the mood. I'm sorry, Miss London."

"You should be sorry," she replied, bitterly. "And why the heck are you hanging around my fiancé so much?"

"Um, I'm his personal assistant. It's kind of my job."

"Well, you could be a little less clingy."

"I could say the same about you," I mumbled.

She crossed her arms and glared at me. "Excuse me?"

"Um, nothing," I responded.

"Lucy, you really need to leave. I'll just call you later and—"

"Colton, why do I get the feeling that you're avoiding me?" she asked.

"I just have a lot of work to do, and I can't be distracted."

"Well, your assistant is right here. Have her do the work, and you can spend time with me."

"It doesn't work that way," Colton explained. "Now, please, will you just leave?"

"Fine, but you better find a way to make it up to me...because as of right now, I am angry at you!" Lucy announced.

"Fine then! Be mad at me. I don't care," Colton snapped back.

Lucy huffed and stomped out of the room.

"She makes me so—ugh!" Colton groaned and hit his head on his desk. "I—I need to go home."

"You can't leave work early. If you leave early, then I have nobody to assist. And if I don't have anyone to assist, then I don't get paid. And if I don't get paid then—"