Chapter Two: Meet the Girlfriend

Chapter 2—Meet the Girlfriend

I spent the whole night reading the files that Colton gave me because I was determined to not let him down at the meeting.

I arrived to work, with a tray of fresh coffee bought from the nearby shop, and headed for the front desk.

"One for you, and one for you," I said, handing a cup to Harper and Tia.

"Ooh, thank you," Tia replied. "So, how was your first day yesterday?"

"It was alright. Colton wasn't too bad."

"Ah, not yet anyway," Harper mentioned, "Things could take a turn any moment."

"I guess you're right," I said. "Well, I better get going."

I rushed to Colton's door and pressed the red button, waiting for him to buzz me in.

"Enter, Elena."

"Hi, boss," I said, coming inside.

"I smell coffee."

I smiled. "I didn't know if you already had some, but I bought another cup just in case. There's one for you, and one for me. I asked one of the employees if you ever come into the shop, and they told me your usual order."

"Extra effort to impress me, I see," he said, grabbing the cup.

"I...uh...wasn't trying to impress you or—"

"I'm just messing with you. Thanks for the coffee."

He took a sip, and I sank into a leather chair.

"I read the files last night. When is the meeting?"

"It's in fifteen minutes. We'll be heading up to the 25th floor to meet with the heads of our partner companies."

"Tell me what to do, and I'll do it," I said.

He rubbed is chin. "Hmm, I tell you what to do, and you do it. Interesting..."

"Well, I won't do everything."

"What exactly did you think I was going to make you do?"

"Um, nothing, but—"

"Elena, other than being on a first name basis with you, I intend to be perfectly professional."

"I know, sir, I—"

"Uh-uh, what did I tell you to call me?"

"Colton," I stated.

"Elena, why do I get the feeling that you're not comfortable around me?"

"I'm still new, so I just need to warm up to you. That's all."

He walked up to me and placed a hand on my arm.

"I hope you become more comfortable soon. Now, let's get to the meeting," he said, slowly moving his hand away.

I glanced at my arm.

"Elena, let's go," Colton ordered.

"Oh, right, sorry."

"Are you savoring my touch or something?" he teased.

"N—no," I said, feeling my cheeks flush.

He let out a low chuckle. "If you say so."

For a guy who's supposed to be serious and scary, he sure does know how to make me blush from embarrassment.