Chapter Three: A Perfect Diamond

Chapter 3—A Perfect Diamond

Colton had dismissed me for the day, and I was heading for the lobby.

I made it halfway down the hallway when he rushed after me.

"Elena, wait," he said, grabbing my arm.

I turned around and asked, "Did you need me to do something else?"

"Um, it's not really an order or anything; it's just...more of a favor."

"You need a favor from me?"

He nodded. "I have a special request. I was hoping that if you weren't busy, you could stop by the jeweler's shop."

"Oh, you want me to run you an errand. I can pick up—"

"No, no," he explained, "I don't want you to go for me. I want to go with me."

"With you?"

"Yes," he replied. "I was hoping to get a fresh perspective on the style of the ring."

"Well, you could just call Lucy and—"

"No, I want it to be a surprise. Besides, if I bring her, it will be an endless list of special requests about the appearance. I tried to make it fancy, but not too extravagant. I wanted the diamond to stick out, but you know how the media is when they see engagement rings. They criticize if it's too small or too big. They always want to know how much it cost."

"Um, I still don't understand why you can't bring her."

He sighed. "Let's put it this way. If I just surprise her and give her the ring, then she'll willingly accept it. If I let her come to the shop and give her time to think about it, she'll find a way to hate it."

"Okay, it's starting to get a bit clearer. So, you seriously want my opinion? My taste in rings is probably on a different level than Lucy's."

"I want to know what you think; I respect your opinion. So, will you please accompany me to the jeweler's? I know your shift is over, but—"

"Say no more. I'll come with you."

"Thank you. Give me a minute and let me call my driver. He'll get into my usual car and act as a decoy, while you and I sneak out back and take my other car."

"Do you always need a decoy when you leave the office?"

"No, but this is a special reason. I don't want anyone following me to the jeweler's."

"Okay," I said as he took out his phone.

*

During the car ride, Colton insisted that I tell him more about myself.

"You don't want to hear about me," I said. "Your life is way more fascinating."

"I'll tell you more about myself, but you have to go first. What do you say we play a game of twenty questions?"

"Five questions," I replied.

"Only five? Come on, you have to give me more than that."

"No, only five."

"Okay, but detailed answers are preferable and no questions are off limits unless it involves a situation that emotionally scarred you, deal?"

"How can the answers be detailed? The original game of twenty questions is designed to be as vague as possible with the only options being yes or no."