Chapter 58 - The Calm...

Start from the beginning

"I'm a scientist Blake." Nick said giving the man a bored look. "I live my life knowing that hope is a lie. Hope is a dangerous thing, its got no use in the world. If you let it, hope'll drive you off the deep end. It's one thing to hope for something good to happen, you can wait or you can do something. But it's when the world gets ripped out from under you is when you realize that hope is just a lie created to keep us all in check when you see the world for what it really is. And that my friend is an idea that you'd better get used to if we can't get the president to evacuate all the cities on the west coast."

Nick's attention was brought to the large black dome that appeared in front of them as Blake took a turn and was driving along beside it until they reached the front entrance. It was than that Nick turned back to him and spoke. "Now let's hope for the best shall we?"

Nick stepped out of the car with Blake right on his heels. As he stepped out Nick tapped the side of the headband he wore making a light clicking sound before he could feel a very faint vibration coming from the band as it powered up. The moment he stepped out though Nick was greeted to the sight of several men and women in black suits with their guns drawn on him. Nick raised his hands up in an attempt to show that he meant no harm but no guns were lowered telling him that this was about to get ugly.

His headband began to hum as the nanites he'd made began to respond to his thoughts, but a second before Nick told them to rush these guards Blake got in front of him. "Lower your weapons, all of you drop them right now!" Blake held up a leather object which Nick could only assume was his police badge. "My name is Blake Marson, I'm the Police Commissioner of the Washington DC Police Department, but more than that I'm also a senior member of the Lawkeeper Society. It's by that authority that I say again, lower your guns!"

Nick raised his eyebrow as a look of uncertainty passed through the men and women before them. Was that really all it'd take, Nick wondered as he removed his headband and put it on the roof of the car. "Look I know what you were all told, but I'm not the one responsible for killing Faye Williams. I can promise you that she was very much alive after the explosion. If you want I can pull up a video record of her talking to her guards after I'd been taken into custody." Still nothing, but now that Nick had a chance to look around he noticed that there was still a camera that worked just off to the side. "If you want you can all look over my shoulder while I pull up the video but that'll have to wait for a moment. For now I need to know if that camera over there has audio."

The lead guard looked a taken aback by that question so Nick tried again to reassure them that he meant no harm. "Look I'll go with you to your detention center if you want, but I need to know if that camera has any audio and that the current acting president can hear me." 

A moment or two passed before the lead guard told another to call the head of security and to tell him to watch the front gate camera. Nick took that as a go ahead as he slowly got down on his knees and put his hands behind his head. It was the most complicit position that he could think of and from the looks of it the guards were taking him at least a little more serious. The lead guard stepped forward and just as Nick expected him to do folding his arms behind his back before putting him in restraints. Nick gave Blake a glare, letting him know that he was holding him fully responsible for this but that would just have to take a backseat for now, giving the president his information was what was important here.

The guard that'd been on the phone hung up and nodded at them before the lead guard got Nick up on his feet and pointed to the camera. "Say what you need to and then you're going back in a cage."

Nick let his head hang low just then, he'd nearly been killed four times today already and Leon wasn't even here to blame. On top of that he was probably going to be going back in the same room that he'd broken out of before, probably with the same guard he'd tazed, who would probably want to get some payback with his knuckles. He gave Blake another glare, if only he'd knocked the old man out before then he'd be able to get to the president without being locked up and punished for something he didn't do.

He looked up at the camera than and spoke. "My name is Nick Saunders, believe it or not the demon you call the Light is my adopted brother. I didn't kill Faye Williams, and if you give me the time I can prove it, but for now you have a much, much bigger issue to think about. The demons of the Devil's Chain have cut off all outward news some time ago, after your predecessor gassed all of those demons. I'm not here to lay blame at your feet, but you must know that a media blackout to outward countries typically means that their gearing up for war." Nick looked at Blake who already knew what Nick was saying, but he wasn't so sure about this next part. "I'm not here as a threat, I'm hear as an offering. Let me help you keep your people safe."

That got a response out of the people around him, Blake gave Nick a questioning look before he went on. "I know the identities of all the upper-class demons, and I know ways to at least handle some of their abilities. If you don't believe anything I've just said that have one of your men scan the waters of the Pacific, I promise they'll find something that wasn't their before. Oh and the last bit of information I have is that, there's been a change in leadership on the Chain. Typhon Loustar stepped down as Demon Head, that position is held by Skorge Luzif now. The very demon who attacked the Collaboration Festival for something that happened nearly a century ago. What do you think he'll do now that this thing with the gas chambers happened?"