Chapter Twelve

I knock on my Father's door.

A maid opens it, and almost immediately begins to close it again. I stick my foot in the door, stopping her. "I'm sorry, ma'am," she states respectfully, staring past me. "We were told not to admit you."

"I am not here as his daughter," I reply coldly. "And I will speak to him."

The maid finally looked at me. "Ma'am," she whispers. "Just go. He will leave you alone if you leave him alone."

I don't flinch. "No," I say, certain of my choice. "He won't. He will forget this lesson if I don't drive it in now. He is my Father. He will always be a part of my life, but he doesn't need to control it. I will be the one who controls this relationship."

The maid nods slowly. "Allow me to go speak to him," she murmurs.

I stand in at the front door for a long time, a stranger, abandoned. I have to force myself not to start when the door opens suddenly. "So?" I ask.

"He will see you." Surprise colors her voice.

I nod and enter, allowing her to lead me through my own home. But it wasn't mine anymore. And that was okay. The maid opens the door and slides it closed behind me. I raise an eyebrow at the tea and finger food spread before Father.

"I wasn't expecting you," Father drawls coldly. A fierce and vindicated pleasure courses through me as I see the bandage wrapping around his wrist and how he's forced to use his non-dominant hand to sip at his tea. "Some guests will be arriving soon."

"I hope I'm not imposing," I raise an eyebrow. We both know I don't care if I impose on him or not. 

"Of course not," Father replies lowly. "In fact, I would like to consult you about some aspects of this upcoming meeting. You are both a mediocre ninja and negotiator. Perhaps you can help, if only by accident."

I lean back slightly. "Is this how you get all your clients and allies to work with you?" I question innocently. "By insulting them?" Father is silent for a long minute. "How is you wrist, by the way?" I ask lightly.

Father's mask cracks for a split second, revealing an ugly scowl. I revel in the small success. "I apologize," he says stiffly. "Forgive me for the slight. I meant no harm by it."

I don't accept his apology, simply dropping the subject. "What is the purpose of this meeting?"

"There is a rather valuable artifact I lost possession of a few years back. I hired men to regain it, but they failed to do so before the ninja team guarding the artifact delivered it to the family who'd stolen it. That family lives in a different Land, so I've been unable to send anyone to take it back."

I nod slowly. "And why couldn't you hire konoha ninja to take back the artifact when it was first stolen from you?" Father gives me a slightly guarded, slightly condescending look. "Oh," I realize. "It wasn't really yours. In fact, the person who "stole" it from you was probably just taking it back. Correct?"

"Of course not," Father denied easily. It was the sort of "no" that meant "yes". "I gained the artifact perfectly legally. I will admit, however, that the family I gained it from may not have been completely happy with their loss."

"Of course," I agree. "Who are the men you hired if not Konoha ninja?"

"A collection of men who found being ninja too... constraining. They came together to form a group of sorts. You can hire them for the right price," Father responded. I nod.

"Why are you going after the artifact now? After so much time?"

"The current holders of the artifact are about to move it. This is the chance to regain the lost artifact," my Father murmured. "They must think I've forgotten about it after over two years, dismissed it from my mind. But no, I remember. They're fools to step foot outside of the safety of their country."