Half-Blood Hill (O3)

"Uh, so what now?" I huffed as we turned down the wooden beach house cabin, with a dangerous monster hot on our heels.

"Find Percy and Annabeth," Grover wheezed. The poor satyr was having a harder time than I was.

Since I couldn't say another word without spontaneously combusting, I pointed at the stairway that was coming into view. We picked up the pace and ran like bats out of hell. Grover and I booked it up the creepy loud staircase and flew into a hallway. Doors were on either side of us and there were a lot of doors.

"Crap!" I muttered. "I'll take the right side."

We split up and tackled the doors. I kicked the ones on the right side in one at a time. It was a beautiful sight to see the splintery wood. Finally when I got to the last door I kicked it open and two voices screamed at one. By the Gods, it was only Annabeth and Percy having a make-out session.

"Geezus, Nico," Annabeth yelled, detaching herself from Percy's side and scooching away from him. "Like, knock, next time!"

"Um...I found Grover?" I asked lamely.

Percy snapped out of his red embarrassment and was up on his feet. "Yeah, where?"

"He was opening the doors on the left looking for you guys."

Just then we heard a high-pitched satyr scream and a deep vicious quarterback growl. All three of us looked at each other. Annabeth's face was annoyed, as if I had ruined her make-out session.

"Save Grover?" Annabeth spook what we were thinking. "Or let him die."

"Let him die," I chorused happily. I was only joking, of course, but those children of Athena have absolutely no sense of humour. Annabeth pulled out her knife and held it dangerously close to my Adam's apple.

"You wanna die tonight, son of Hades?" She whispered.

"No."

"Fuck you," Annabeth sheathed her knife and flew out of the room before I could even say 'scary'. Percy gave me a look, like it was my fault and ran out after her. Sighing I followed them.

Outside the long hallway we saw a flame flicker in a room. We ran to see what was happening. I skidded to a stop outside of the room and looked inside. Flame licked my cheek and I stepped back with a gasp of pain.

Grover was cornered in the room, crying and sucking on his thumb. I rolled my eyes before jumping into the room, stepping over the ashes of a lot of wood and booking it to him. I was almost there when a huge tail thumped down in front of me. I yelped and stepped back.

"What the hell?" I muttered.

Behind me, I heard Annabeth's loud gasp of worry. I turned toward the doorway. She was looking inside with a worried look on her face. She caught my eye and began to mouth something at me but I couldn't really pay attention because...well there was a fire breathing dragon leering down at me.

I drew my knife and slashed out at the tail. It made a sound that could have been laughter.

"Nico, get away from there, NOW!" Annabeth shouted.

I gave her a look, like, I'm trying!

"No, I'm serious," her voice had changed, "That's a basilisci, it's dangerous!"

Yeah, so? Everything we fight are dangerous.

"What she means is," Percy continued for her, "that thing is so deadly it kills by touch."

I think my mouth fell open. Annabeth decided to warn me that it was lurking over my head right after breaking the bad news that I would probably die.