Once the campers all clear off and the fire is down to the embers, we'll just have to do the incantation and like a phoenix, Octavian will rise from the ashes of his fallen brother and Solace's life source will be his. The boy's soul will be held in the hands of The Fates and they'll be bound by an eternal promise not to inform Hades or any other Underworld dweller that they are the ones in possession of it. Because I know that di Angelo will search, search desperately. We've all seen him looking for Percy in the last year, it's been an obsession that has caused a rift between him and Solace. They may have fooled everyone with the cuddles and the laughing by the campfire the other week but we all heard the argument when Nico said he was leaving again. He may not even be back in time to light his lover's shroud, which will add to the grief like no other.

It'll only be if they can hand Tavy back to The Fates that they'll release Solace to walk the realm of the living again and that's a secret I'll take to the grave if I have to, just so he can keep living.'

"So The Fates have Will's soul?" Percy questioned as Hades looked up from the page to assess his feelings. He was also certain that the god couldn't read any further at that moment in time. Percy was fully aware of the shadows that had been dancing further up his walls the longer Hades spoke Nathan's words aloud. "That's why nobody can find him, they're bound by an Oath to keep it and keep it secret."

"This complicates matters severely," Hades sighed and shook his head. "Because I know the Fates well enough to know that my wrath will do nothing."

"A soul for a soul." Percy recited Nathan's words. "We can swap Octavian back for Will, right? Nathan said himself that it was a secret he was willing to take to the grave, even if he was stupid enough to write it down."

"It can't be that simple." Hades looked stunned, despite the contradictory words he'd just read.

"I know." Percy agreed, his mind racing over possibilities. "But at the same time, it gives Gaia the perfect leverage over Nathan. Think about it; 'complete my orders to a T or I'll send your boyfriend back to Hades and unleash the anger of Nico di Angelo upon you when he gets his boyfriend back.' He'd complete her orders to the letter."

"How do we explain this to Nico and Apollo?" Hades' eyes widened. "Because the minute we tell Nico that Nathan is responsible, he won't wait to hear the important part of 'we can get him back', he'll be after Nathan like a shot. And Apollo will be on his heels."

"Unless we don't tell them." Percy suggested, though he felt sick to his stomach saying it. "Not until we've taken Octavian to the Fates and spoken to them and made sure that there's no hidden catch. I wouldn't want to get his hopes up if it turns out that Nathan's information is wrong."

"You're asking me to lie to my son?" Hades shook his head.

"Do you think I want to lie to him?" Percy frowned. "Do you think I want to look into the eyes of someone I love like a brother and tell him I found nothing that explains how Nathan brought Octavian back? To tell him that, and pretend that I don't know the price of returning Octavian's soul to Nathan was one he paid with Will's life?"

"No, I know, I'm sorry." Hades dragged a hand down his face. "I don't know what to do."

"We need to go and get Octavian now, before they're given an opportunity to flee." Percy decided. "We can decide what to do when we have him in our custody, under our eyes. We can't stand here and debate what to do when we don't know what we currently can do."

"You're right." Hades nodded. "Put on your mask and cloak and I'll take you back to the Amphitheatre."